Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3920
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Updated to Windows 10, and Deskjet 3920 is now showing as offline.

Have tried the fixes on the support site, using the Printer Wizard. Removed printer, re-installed drivers - still the same. Help!

Or is it just new printer time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, that link looked good, but it started talking about interrogating the menu on the printer - basic Deskjet hasn't got a menu on it.  I'm sure somewhere in the thread it would of started to go into this, but considering the position of the OP, I thought let's go sort this myself.

I've swapped the port setting for the printer from USB001 to USB003 and it seems to work now!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Bobsterisimous, 

You shouldn't have to buy a new printer, since that model is listed as compatible with Windows 10 through the Windows Built-in Print Driver

That link should walk you through installing printers through this feature. Have you tried installing the printer through this method?

If this doesn't work, I'd like to help troubleshoot.

Tim-W-H - I work on behalf of HP. Words are my own and do not necessarily reflect HP.

If you feel my post solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" so that others can find it as well. Kudos are appreciated.

Kudos are always appreciated!

HP Recommended

Yup, tried that already - no joy.

It tells me there is a problem with my driver, but then as I follow the steps I'm tole my driver is up to date and OK.  I therefore go to manually updating, no change, printer still offline.

HP Recommended

I was able to find this short guide on what to do when the built-in driver fails to install: LINK

Have you been able to try this method? I hope this helps you get it running.

Tim-W-H - I work on behalf of HP. Words are my own and do not necessarily reflect HP.

If you feel my post solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" so that others can find it as well. Kudos are appreciated.

HP Recommended

Done that already too, I've been through all the standard solutions on the HP support forum and site, none work.  Checking through devices and properties everything tells me it's there, and drivers are fine - but it remains 'Offline'.

I've forced a re-install of the driver.

I've deleted the printer and re-installed.

The printer remains 'offline'.

For the benefit of doubt I have clicked your link and been through that process again.  By step 4, my printer is already showing as there again once I call up Device, but is still offline.

Therefore, in Step 4, I delete the printer again, and manually add.  Printer isn't found by windows so select manually.  Then told driver is already installed, I've down this road before, so rather than the recommended, use already installed option, I'm opting for replace.  Get to 'print a test page', adn guess what?  Pop-up from the side to advise that the printer is offline.

Woo-hoo - I'm back to square one.

PS - Should add - thanks for your atempts to help.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't help! :indifferent:

The only thing I can think of that we haven't tried to resolve this is this trick involving your IP address. This was shared a few years ago by Medic1 at this thread: LINK

If this doesn't help, I'll send some information on support options so a support technician can get in touch.

HP Recommended

Well, that link looked good, but it started talking about interrogating the menu on the printer - basic Deskjet hasn't got a menu on it.  I'm sure somewhere in the thread it would of started to go into this, but considering the position of the OP, I thought let's go sort this myself.

I've swapped the port setting for the printer from USB001 to USB003 and it seems to work now!

HP Recommended

Awesome! Sorry I couldn't be more help on this one, but it's great you've got it sorted out. 

HP Recommended

My printer is HP 3920,can I install it on my pc.Is it compatible to the confugaration of my pc?

jayant naik

[personal information removed]

HP Recommended

Hi @jayantnaik2004

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. The Deskjet 3920 is compatible with Windows 10. You have to use the Windows Update Driver since full feature software is unavailable. 

You can confirm this here. HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers

If you need help installing the printer, this document should work. HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.