Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 4729
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My deskjet 4729 skips half pages haphardly. The printer is barely 1 year old and prints test pages correctly. I added new cartridges to no avail. 

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ceeske

Do you experience the same issue when making Photocopies?

If Photocopies are working fine, then it would be a driver issue

Please ensure that the printer and Mac has the latest updates

Printer Firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Mac update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201541

Next remove and re-add the printer using Airprint. AirPrint is an Apple technology that helps you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers.

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print 

Let me know how it goes😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad,

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately the problem still exist. Haphazardly the printer still prints only about half the page. After printing the first part, it stops ('starts thinking what to do') and after a couple of seconds it skips to the next page. It does not happen at every page but when printing a report about 80% of the pages are incomplete. 

I followed precisely your instructions: I have no problem when making photocopies. Latest firmware and OSX updates are installed (High Sierra for my 17" MBP mid 2010). Printer was removed and then added again. I am using AirPrint. Until a couple of weeks ago the printer was working fine. 

Hope you are able to help further because working in this way is a nightmare. 

Thanks in advance,

Ceeske

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad,

Unfortunately  and contrary to what I reported yesterday,  the problem is not solved.  I was too early yesterday to report (after a few trial prints) that the issue was resolved. But today after some intensive printing, the same problem is here again. As mentioned before, the issue is recurring haphazardly. Some prints are ok, but the majority of the prints contain part of the pages only.

As mentioned yesterday, I re-downloaded and re-installed HP Easy Start (could not download HP Smart App for my MBP -mid 2010).

Hope that you are able to help further.

Thanks in advance,

Ceeske

HP Recommended

@Ceeske

Please create a new User Account and try printing or downloading HP Smart App and let me know if it works

You can refer to this Link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad,

As you suggested, I created a new account on my MBP and tried printing from there. Unfortunately, only about ⅓ of the page was printed. Also with the HP SmartApp only part of the pages were printed (same as before).

In the meantime I have spent so much time trying to eliminate the problem, badly effecting my workflow and leading to a lot of frustrations and I wasted so much paper that I have to come to the conclusion to scrap my HP DeskJet 4729 (less than 3 years old and with just new cartridges) and buy a Canon printer instead. This is my first HP printer -before I used Canon printers over 30 years without any problems until they died of age- but will never buy an HP printer again nor can I recommend one to others.  I am sorry to report my bad experiences with HP in which I had a lot of confidence. 

Nevertheless, thanks for trying to help; a pity that it failed.

Regards,

Ceeske

HP Recommended

@Ceeske

i'm sorry to hear what you went through.I understand your concerns and frustration

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.