Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

erroneous "tray 1 out of paper or empty" message

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have tried letter size and tabloid, and get the same result.  There is paper in Tray 1, but I keep getting "Tray 1 open or empty" message.  This has been happening since the machine was almost new, but of course its out of warranty now.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9264 9244 630 610
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@david47408

Please remove the papers from Tray one and perform a Reset and Firmware update

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168 for Firmware update

Put back the papers and try printing and let me know how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
david47408 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion.  I had tried that already, but went through it again, this time removing paper during the process.  Afterward, tray two's empty message is cancelled after adding paper, but there is not change for tray 1 - printer still thinks tray 1 is empty when it is not.

The firmware is up to date.  It seems like a mechanical problem, like some switch not engages to recognize that there is paper.

I love the printer, but the whole point was to have one tray for letter size and one for tabloid....I have to switch paper back and forth in tray 2 to be able to print.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
1778 1772 139 155
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@david47408

Make sure the papers are properly loaded in Tray 1

Refer to this document to know how to load papers into Tray 1

Check for any obstructions/damages in Tray 1. If none found, let us try to reset the printer to its factory settings and check if that helps as this being a false error message.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation