Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp office jet pro 6968

Error message:  Cartridge cannot be used until lprinter is enrolled in HP Instant ink.

The printer was shut down and when it came back up the error message was on the screen.  I can not print anything.  I did have the instant ink but cancelled in May of 2018.  Have not had any trouble since then.  Help.  Need to print.  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LisaG3

Greetings and Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! To better assist you - Are you still using the Instant Ink cartridges?

If yes, then the Instant Ink cartridges will not work once the account is canceled and you are suppose to replace the Instant Ink cartridges with the regular HP ink cartridges. 

If you are not using Instant Ink cartridges and have already installed the regular ink, let's try these steps -

1) Turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 
2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
3) With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 60 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware. Refer to this document for steps - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue still persists, try re-enabling the Web-Services -

1) From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, touch ( HP ePrint ), and then touch (Web Services Settings).
2) Touch Remove Web Services.

3) Reboot the router and the printer.

4) To enable the Web Services - From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
5) Touch Web Services Setup .
6) Touch Accept to accept the Web Services terms of use and enable Web Services.
7) On the screen that appears, touch OK to allow the printer to automatically check for product updates.

😎 If the Printer Update Options screen is displayed, select Install Automatically (Recommended) or Alert When Available.
9) When the printer is connected to the server, the printer prints an information page. Follow the instructions on the information page to finish the setup.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita6658:

I tried all the items that you have suggested but I still have the error message; "Cartridge cannot be used until printeris enrolled in HP instant ink".

I have not had the instant ink program since May of 2018.  

Please help.

HP Recommended

@LisaG3

I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem but am enrolled in the instant ink

HP Recommended

@Kate855, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, We would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem. I've reset web services, turned the printer off and on, reinstalled cartridges but nothing has worked. I have an HP Envy 5010 and it has worked fine for three months until it just came up with this error today.

HP Recommended

@Spiketown, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues with the printer enrolled on Instant Ink and I also appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

Your issue requires remote assistance and I'd suggest you contact the Instant Ink team for further course of action.

I shall share the contact details to your inbox. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.