Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The update procedure "from the printer panel" described by Flower_Bud is not an option either, as the printer does not react to any button I press. The error message persists and nothing else happens.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Trifon1

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you're in need of support,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the printer model name?

What is the operating system on the PC? 

What is the error message?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Once I have the information, I'll help you further with troubleshooting steps,

Keep me posted,

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud

Thank you for your reply. Apparently the moderator only referred you to my addendum, not my original posting, which read as follows:

"Hi there, I think I have exactly the same problem with my OfficeJet Pro 8210 for some days now.

The printer says "Update required" and displays the error message as stated by DoctorFishbone. But nothing else happens, in particular no update is being installed apparently. Starting a firmware update on the PC (as by downloaded firmware updater) doesn't help either, because the updater doesn't display a printer in the list.

The printer is connected to a Win7 PC via wifi, but we also tried connecting via LAN cable and USB.

When connecting via USB, the computer searches Windows Update for 3 device drivers and successfully instals them. Two of them are called something like "HP Fw Update Device", can't remember exactly. Nevertheless, the firmware updater still cannot find any printer to update.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance."

So the answers to your questions would have been in that message, but for the sake of clarity:

What is the printer model name?  HP OfficeJet Pro 8210

What is the operating system on the PC?  Windows 7 (x64)

What is the error message?  "Update required - A problem has occured with one of the printer's critical system files.  A printer update will be installed to fix this problem"

When was the last time it worked fine?  a few days ago

Were there any hardware/software changes made?  No. (Neither printer firmware nor PC hard- or software.)

Hope you can help.

All the best

HP Recommended

@Trifon1

Thanks for responding, 

It's great to have you back,

Let's try these steps: 

Power reset:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Once completed, try updating firmware from printer control panel.

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud

Thanks for your reply.

I did exactly as you suggested, but it didn't help. Same situation as before.

Anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

@Trifon1

Thanks for trying those steps,

Let's restore printer settings to default:

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults

1. From the printer control panel, from the Home screen, select Setup, and then press OK.

2. Select Tools, and then press OK.

3. Select Restore, and then press OK.

4. A warning message appears which indicates all configured settings will be deleted and the original factory settings will be restored. Press the OK button to continue.

Once you have completed these steps, update the firmware from the PC (Connect USB cable from printer to PC). 

Keep me posted,

Good Luck!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud

Erm, no.

Do you actually read my postings? (BTW: Are you actually human or am I talking to a bot?)

As I stated before (see above): "The printer does not react to any button I press. The error message persists and nothing else happens."

So quite obviously I can't do anything from the printer's control panel.

HP Recommended

@Trifon1

Thanks for getting back to us,

This seems to be a hardware related. I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am experience the same problems as the user above. A critical failure has happened and from there I can't do anything. I cant access the control panel and also the device does not download the update automatically.

Please help with this.

Thanks and best regards

HP Recommended

@Milhouse_81,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.