Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
macOS 10.14 Mojave

How can I stop black boxes from printing around my pictures. I have tried using adobe, google, and safari and black boxes appear whenever I am printing pictures (clipart, jpegs and pnf). I have also attempted to delete the printer and reinstall as well as many other trials. I am a teacher and I need to print everyday - PLEASE HELP! Why?Why?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@TLively

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I believe the background color is selected as black, that could be the reason the printer is filling the image with black. Let's try changing the background color:

1.) Right click on the picture that you want to print, select Open With and select Preview.

2.) Click Preview and select Preferences.

3.) Click Windows background: and Choose the desired color.

4.) Click File and select Print.

5.) Choose the desired print settings and select Print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help, but this didnt resolve the problem. When I went into preferences my background color was set to white. I made sure that all the options were also set to white. Unfortunately, no luck my clip is still prinitng with a black box around it. 

HP Recommended

@TLively

That's unfortunate 😞 It's possible that its an issue with the printer driver installed on your Mac. Removing the existing printer driver and the setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
2.) 
Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your efforts. I tried this option before, and I just tried again - no luck! I will admit that I believe it must be a computer problem rather than a printer problem because the black boxes appear when I prinitng at home and at school. 

HP Recommended

@TLively

It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Is the copy working fine?

Did you try printing from a different application?

I the copy is working fine I totally agree with you, that the printer is working fine.

Which application are you trying to print?

Use this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c... for your reference.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Had the same problem and figured it out! I have a MacBook Pro for reference. I had to switch my PDF reader from Preview to Adobe Acrobat Pro and it fixed the issue completely. Not sure if it'll work the same for Windows, but it wasn't a printer issue, it was a PDF reader issue.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

How do I do that? I have been having the same issue.

HP Recommended

That solution did not work for me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.