Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Premium
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My out-of-warranty out-of Carepack Officejet 6700 Premium quit printing, and during the course of trying every suggestion and test I could find on support.hp.com, including installation of an entire set of new ink cartridges, I got the following messages: "The printhead installed is not intended for use in this printer, or is damaged." "Ink system failure. There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn the printer off, then on. If the problem ersists contact HP" " Missing or failed printhead. The printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed" [Note: the problem did persist, and here I am contacting HP.]

So, 1) is it possible for me to buy a new printhead and install it myself?

2) If yes, where can I get one (not a set of five of them) and what would be the likely cost; and also how can I get instructions for installation?

3) If I cannot do it myself, where can I get it done and what might be the likely cost (i.e., it is even worth trying to do it)?

I really liked this printer and it gave me years of good service; plus I have a lot of unused ink cartridges for it.

4) If I cannot get it repaired at a reasonable cost (i.e., compared with purchasing a comparable replacement) is there any way I can get some kind of refund or credit for my unused and still unexpired ink cartridges?

5) How about the brand new full set of cartridges I installed during troubleshooting but the printer would not print with them?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You won't be able to order a new print head and replace it yourself.   And it might not make economic sense to send in to HP for repair as the cost might be comparable to getting a brand new one.   However, if you are keen to purchase a replacement printer in the same category, you can contact HP Customer Service to ask for options in disposing or exchange of the unused ink cartridges you have in your inventory.   Hope this helps. 

I am an HP employee, but I am speaking for myself.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You won't be able to order a new print head and replace it yourself.   And it might not make economic sense to send in to HP for repair as the cost might be comparable to getting a brand new one.   However, if you are keen to purchase a replacement printer in the same category, you can contact HP Customer Service to ask for options in disposing or exchange of the unused ink cartridges you have in your inventory.   Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

Greetings! 

Based on your inputs and you choosing to replace the print heads, and you pondering on the additional response given by another member above... here are my inputs...

1. As per HP, the Printhead for this printer is not a user replaceable part.
  2. But if you insist that you would like to replace it yourself, then keep in mind that the information I am providing you below is not a solution from HP but ones available outside of it, and you take complete responsibility of the outcome the repair you do.
  3. Having said that...
    1. The Print Head Part number for this printer Officejet 6700 is CB863-60133
    2. It is available on many stores including eBay, (I am not aware if HP Sells this part seperately)
    3. There are videos on youtube that show you how to go about replacing the printhead. 

I wish you luck on your choice to repair the device yourself.

I am an HP employee and am speaking for myself, not for HP
HP Recommended

@Prem_M wrote:

Greetings! 

Based on your inputs and you choosing to replace the print heads, and you pondering on the additional response given by another member above... here are my inputs...

1. As per HP, the Printhead for this printer is not a user replaceable part.
  2. But if you insist that you would like to replace it yourself, then keep in mind that the information I am providing you below is not a solution from HP but ones available outside of it, and you take complete responsibility of the outcome the repair you do.
  3. Having said that...
    1. The Print Head Part number for this printer Officejet 6700 is CB863-60133
    2. It is available on many stores including eBay, (I am not aware if HP Sells this part seperately)
    3. There are videos on youtube that show you how to go about replacing the printhead. 

I wish you luck on your choice to repair the device yourself.

This is the first time I have used this forum. I intended to accept BOTH of the 2 replies as a solution. I did not know that accepting one would eliminate the option of accepting the other. I thank both respondents for their replies.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance. I have been pre-occupied with other things and haven't had a chance to follow up on the replies to my question. I guess it looks like I'm up for a new Printer.

HP Recommended

I beginnin to think HP is in the Scam business.

I had a similar situation happen before.  Presently, my HP 6700 H-711 Officejet printer was purchased in May 2014.  It worked fine until the last month.   Error messages are that printhead not recognized, etc.  The suggested fixes, turning the printer on and off and unplugging it and replugging the printer doesn't work.  I am stuck with over a $100 of ink cartridges. Of course, the newer printers do not use these ink cartridges..so again, HP has stuck me with unused ink cartridges which are as expensive as the new printer at Costco.  

All of hte HP 6700 H-711 printers are off the market.  I would buy another one new if I could find one.

HP makes it impossible to contact them directly to see if they have one in their warehouses.

I'm done with HP 

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Hi RonUnderwood,

You may be able to exchange your unused ink cartridges if you upgrade to a new printer model or follow on product and purchase directly from HP.   Please refer to the following thread for more information:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Exchange-unused-ink-cartridges-after-buying-a-new-print...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  I figured as much and am saying goodbye to HP products forever.  

HP Recommended

Hi there Ron I have the same problem here in South Africa.I was wondering what have you replaced your printer with?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.