Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

How do you print an envelope from HP Envy 4520?  I did not receive a manual with the printer and the online manual does not address printing envelopes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @MayBailey,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I understand that you are trying to print envelopes from your Windows 8.1 PC to your Envy 4520 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that.

This document outlines how to print envelopes from your printer.

Please let me know if this allows you to print your envelopes. If it does not then please let me know what happens when you try to print as well as what program(s) you are printing the envelopes from and I should be able to assist you further.

If this resolves your issue then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey @MayBailey,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I understand that you are trying to print envelopes from your Windows 8.1 PC to your Envy 4520 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that.

This document outlines how to print envelopes from your printer.

Please let me know if this allows you to print your envelopes. If it does not then please let me know what happens when you try to print as well as what program(s) you are printing the envelopes from and I should be able to assist you further.

If this resolves your issue then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hey,

Do we know what happened to the article?  The link gives me a 404 error.  

Can we get a new link to the article?

HP Recommended

I would like to print an envelope from Microsoft WORD. I have clicked every single option for "printer size" and none are compatibale with the envelope that I place in the tray, which is the normal size for a folded letter: 4-1/8 x 9-1/2. 

Jennifer

HP Recommended

Hi @jenjen3092,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that you wanting to print on an envelope that is 4 1/8" x 9 1/2" with an HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer but you are unable to find that envelope size in the print settings. I would like to help with that.

I was looking through the supported paper envelope sizes and was not able to find a setting for 4 1/8" x 9 1/2".

The closest envelope that they have listed is the U.S. 10 envelope which is 4.1" x 9.5". Try seeing if selecting that will help.

Here is a support document that can be used for reference if needed - Printing Envelopes (Windows).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I tried every size available , including #10, but each time, it said, it was the wrong size.

I am thinking that I will have to switch to another size envelope. 

If that does not work, perhaps I can take it to Best Buy Geek Squad and perhaps they will be able to show me how to get it to print rather than receiving an error that I have the wrong envelope size loaded.

Thank you for your help.

Jennifer

HP Recommended

Hi @jenjen3092,

If the envelopes are being loaded properly the sensor in the printer might be picking up on the 0.025" difference in the size of the envelope. 

I would try to use a #10 envelope if possible.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

jenjen 3092, I posted the original question about printing envelopes on the HP Envy 4520.  I am printing from Microsoft Works and it works fine on the few size envelopes that I use.  I just choose the size, put it in the middle of the paper tray, slide the sides in and press print.  I've also printed from Microsoft Word 2007 and never received an error.  Do you have Microsoft Works that you could try?

HP Recommended

the envy 4520 is a pos. If you want to print cards or envelopes, forget it unless you got one that has a proper paper sensor. If you try to print an envelope you have to tell the printer what size paper you just put in and then it errors about mismatch paper size! Dont bother...

HP Recommended

After days of struggling and talking with HP on Twitter and phone calls (don't call -- they give you the same troubleshooting articles you can find online and charge $19 for it), I figured out how to print to Envelope A-7 with HP Envy 4520 (on a mac).

I was working with a mail merge and I exported the files to PDF.  Opening the PDF in Apple Preview, I pushed Command+R and rotated them sideways (portrait, but the text looks sideways in the preview). 

Insert the A-7 Envelope in the printer and tell the HP Envy 4520 that you are using "plain paper" otherwise it gives this obnoxious error about the paper size being wrong.

Then, printing, I used these settings:

Print dialogue screenPrint dialogue screen

Create your custom size by selecting this dropdown: 

Select "Manage Custom Sizes"Select "Manage Custom Sizes"

Add the Envelope A-7 size.  This is what I used.  Note: the height and width are reversed from what you would expect.  This was the only way I could get it to print correctly.

Create your new custom sizeCreate your new custom size

Here are the final settings and preview:

Finished Preview of settingsFinished Preview of settings

Hope that helped and hopefully I didn't miss anything.  HP's forum kept erasing my instructions so this is the third time I've typed this.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.