Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to print, the printer prints in portrait mode and I can't seem to change it to landscape  printing

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Billcc9, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'd like to know the following-

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • What happens when you print on regular plain paper?
  • Are you printing using the HP Smart App?
  • Have you tried making copies on the index card, does the orientation change there too?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,  It took me about 2 hours to figure out how to get back to you...It's more complicated than you think it is.

My computer uses Windows 10  64 bit latest version.  My document software is LibreOffice.  The printer is brand new and works fine for normal printing.  My previous HP (I think it was a officejet 6600) would print these 3 x 5 cards, and the info that I saw on one about this printer indicated that it would, also.

I know I downloaded the HP Smart App...is it used automatically? or do I have to do something special for it to be used?

I tried to make a copy of an existing card and it printed in portrait configuration.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

HP Recommended

@Billcc9

You need to open the HP smart App and then print. It will not print automatically

I also suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Try printing and keep me posed how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

To: Krazy Toad:  I worked on the 13 item list that you sent, and I think I accomplished most of them...up to #13.  I couldn't figure out how or what to download from the page that came up.  Most items were not "live".  So I'm back to where I started from as far as how the printer is working.  I did see somewhere that I was able to look at that a 3 x 5 format was available.  I am not an expert at doing some of these things on the computer. 

HP Recommended

Billcc9

Click this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8020-all-in-one-printer-...

to download the printer setup software

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I clicked on the link you sent

Click this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8020-all-in-one-printer-...

and I think I followed the instructions on what to do.  The current printer driver now is: HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 series PCL3

I am still not able to print on 3 x 5 index cards correctly.  Did I do something wrong?  What can I try next?

Thanks,

Bill

HP Recommended

@Billcc9

Are you still unable to change to Landscape Mode while printing 3 x 5?

Try a custom size printing and let me know if that helps

Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03890386

Keep me posted how it goes

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked on the version of Libre Office that I am using and found that there was an update available, and downloaded and installed it.  I have tried custom size printing, but the system will change my 3.00 entry to 3.50 every time.  I use a template that I created for 3 x 5.  I have never seen a 3.5 x 5 index card. With the current version of Libre Office they also show the smallest index card size of 3.5 x 5.  I tried using it any way and had to change the printing orientation to landscape.  It Worked!  This was printing from something that already existed in my file.  I will try it on something new to confirm that it will work. 

I had looked at a few different printers on line before buying this one, and they all indicated that they would print on 3 x 5 index cards.  Is it possible that they are assuming that I am printing from Microsoft Word?  Does that make a difference? The salesman at Best Buy also said he was sure that it would print on 3 x 5 cards.

HP Recommended

@Billcc9

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

The printer should be able to print 3 x 5. Try printing something new and let us know if you face the same issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.