Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Pls.someone help me. I have Printer HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a, previously since 2013 it was good to use Ink cartridges 950XL, now due to regionvise, it is changed to 950XL z40, I got the new one, but printer continously display cartridges problem it is only for black. I don't know what to do? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What country are you in?  The new cartridge may have a marking like -Z10.  What is the marking?  Check the markings on the cartridge you removed as well as the other cartridges in the printer - are they the same Z number?

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  The printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This feedback on the ink cartridge zone issues was very helpful in understanding why I was having problems.  Unfortunately for me, the solution of contacting HP to reset the Regionalization of the printer failed.  The blame was placed on the fact that I was on a MAC running Catalina 10.15.2, which HP claimed that Apple did not allow access to the information to enable the reset of the Region (Z10 to Z40).   The end result was that I have a useless printer and am out of pocket by about $200 New Zealand dollars.  Full credit to this poster and the support person at HP who tried for over an hour to resolve the issue.  I don't know who to blame, but at the very least HP needs to reconsider its position as to whether this new policy was smart for business.  It seems, to me, quite short sighted.  I won't be purchasing an HP product going forward.

HP Recommended

@GalacticKiwi - I see in the thread here that an HP agent has asked to have your case escalated.  It can take a few working days for this to work itslf through the system, but you should be contacted by an HP escalation team member within a few days.

I do not know if Catalina 10.15.2 is supported by any reset tools.  If all else fails you might consider finding a friend with a Windows laptop that could temporarily install the needed software and perform the reset.  The reset is a one-time thing, once it is done the Windows machine would no longer be needed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input and suggestion.  HP also suggested that I find someone with a Windows laptop, which I will continue to consider, but after my initial exposure to the process for the Regionalization Reset , I am not sure I want to subject a friends laptop to it.   As an example, my understanding, after my initial work with an HP support rep was that they need to get to screen, using HP Smart, that shows the ink levels.  Then, thru a series of magical clicks, some special information shows up, including the current "region" setting.  Finally, HP must then provide a  unique reset code that forces the regionalization to be redone.  In my first call with HP,  I had to allow screen sharing, disable certain security features and download software. I understand why these steps may be necessary from a support perspective, but still, it is not without its risks.  Taking that risk on my own, private laptop is one thing.  Asking a friend to do it with their work laptop is another.   

What I would really like to know is which, if any, MAC OS release the solution has been tested on.  It is far easier for me to revert back to Mojave, implement the fix and then reload Catalina.  What I can't seem to get out of HP is what MAC OS release (if any) has this solution been proven on.  Hopefully, I will get that answer in the next few days.

Thanks again for your original post on this issue.  I would have been scratching my head for days if I hadn't seen your post and the subsequent link to the HP page announcing this change.  Really helpful!

HP Recommended

The best bet is likely to be to find someone with a Windows computer, but I would also suggest contacting the HP Support folks on the Facebook HP Support page here: https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport/.  

Please post back here with the results.  If you are unsucessful I will ask to have your case escalated, although in recent times it seems the Facebook link has better results, at least for folks with Windows systems.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I am happy to report that today I had SUCCESS.  

The day did not start well as I received a bizarre email from HP Support stating that my case had been closed*edited started a new case and rang up the support line.  I was connected to "JM" who did a fantastic job.  So, the short answer is that the Regionalization Reset works for MAC OS Catalina,   

The longer answer is that the technician needs to be the one to enter the magical sequence of key strokes to get the reset window to appear.  On my previous calls, I was instructed to enter them myself.  I monkey-pounded for 10 minutes.  Now, before anyone says "Are you sure you entered them correctly?", the answer is YES.  The problem is that key strokes sequence is "Microsoft speak".  The sequence is: CNTRL-SHIFT Double Rt-Clk.  Well,  unless I am missing something (and I might be), right click on a MAC (MacBook Air with trackpad) is CNTRL-CLICK, so not really sure how one executes CNTRL-SHIFT CNTRL-CLK CNTRL-CLK.    A mystery for someone else to ponder.  The answer for me was to let HP execute the command remotely versus trying to do it myself.

The other twist to the tale is that I needed to have a complete set of both cartridges (one from the old zone Z10 and the other from the new zone Z40).  The reset was performed with the OLD, but valid, zone ink installed.  After the reset, The printer reboots and the old ink isn't recognized.  Put the new ink in and it all started working.  Maybe there is a way around this too, but I mention it for others who may be thinking of recycling the old cartridges right away.  Keep them around until you are sure you don't have a zone-related ink issue.  

Before I end, lest anyone thinks they can just fix this on your own with the magic sequence above, you can't.  The HP support engineer is still required to enter the magic codes to reset the region.  They are machine dependent, so even if I had them (which I don't) they wouldn't work for you.

Anyhow, I hope this series of posts can save the next person with this problem 4 days of their life..........

HP Recommended

@GalacticKiwi wrote:

I am happy to report that today I had SUCCESS.  

The day did not start well as I received a bizarre email from HP Support stating that my case had been closed (**bleep**???).  I started a new case and rang up the support line.  I was connected to "JM" who did a fantastic job.  So, the short answer is that the Regionalization Reset works for MAC OS Catalina,   [snip]

Thanks for posting.  I am glad to hear your issue is resolved and that the reset can be done on a MAC OS Catalina machine.  The good news is you should never have this issue again, as long as you specify the -Z40 cartridges appropriate for your region.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.