Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 3830 installed as usb works fine. Printer can't be found when trying to connect wirelessly. This printer worked at one time wirelessly but can't connect wirelessly now.

Help Please...getting very frustrated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@memojo

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer and it works fine via USB. However, the printer is unable to connect to the wireless connection. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Do you receive an error message stating that the printer is offline or not available over the network?

Meanwhile, please perform the following steps to have the printer connected wirelessly:

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Restore the network defaults:

Run the wireless setup wizard:

Once the printer seems to have connected to the wireless network, you may uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the person that started this thread and I followed all your directions exactly how you explained, but my printer still doesnt connect to my wifi. Is there anything else I can do? This is very disappointing considering that I just purchased this printer and it only worked on wifi for a week. 

HP Recommended

Any luck with this? I have same issue no idea what to do. This is very disappointing indeed. Its only been few weeks since I bought this printer.

-Mahesh

HP Recommended

Nope. But I gave up and connected wired. Works wirelessly from my phone. I will retry

HP Recommended

Actually I installed the driver for the Deskjet 9800. It works fine, but when you look for printers in device manager it shows the printer being the 3830. I don't care what it says as long as it works. The deskjet 9800 shows up when you do the manual install. It's right next to the 3830.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.