Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Everything prints duplex - I set to single and does not keep setting - Have to

change everytime I print more than 1 page.

Thanks for any reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ginnpr1,

As I understand you would like to set the printer to print only single sided. Let's try these steps here:

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printer.
  • Right-click on Envy 4520 and select “Printer properties”.
  • Select the “Device settings” tab.
  • Ensure that the “Duplex unit” is set to “Installed” rather than “Not installed” and save the settings.
  • Now again give a right-click on the printer icon and select “Printing preferences”.
  • If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on single side" or "1-Sided Printing" option.
  • If “Printing shortcut” is not available, click the “Layout”, “Features”, or “Finishing tab”, depending on which tab displays in your driver version.
  • Locate the "Print on single side" or "1-Sided Printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @ginnpr1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues related to your HP Envy printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's start off by performing a hard reset on the printer: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click   http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61220/mp-147799-1/EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe to install the software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Now go ahead and check the settings, 

• Ensure that the “Duplex unit” is set to “Installed” rather than “Not installed” and save the settings.
  • Now again give a right-click on the printer icon and select “Printing preferences”.
  • If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided (Duplex) Printing" option.
  • If “Printing shortcut” is not available, click the “Layout”, “Features”, or “Finishing tab”, depending on which tab displays in your driver version.
  • Locate the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply - I want to stop the duplex printing - I have to set every print I do to

print single.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@ginnpr1,

As I understand you would like to set the printer to print only single sided. Let's try these steps here:

• If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on single side" or "1-Sided Printing" option.
  • Locate the "Print on single side" or "1-Sided Printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Iam having the same issue..... yesterday it was working fine and today it says duplexer not installed ......I have down all in your post but still not being seen as installed

HP Recommended

@troy19

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try using the built-in drivers and the try: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have since been printing duplex in all apps except ms office...I did have to do to uninstalls and installs of the hp drivers first I have also done a complete de install of office and reintstall only to have the duplex uninstalled in the printer driver microsoft support says its a printer driver issue even tho I can print duplex from any other software.... if I had hair id pull the res out

HP Recommended

I understand. Since you're able to print duplex from other applications, it is an application issue. Request you to contact the HP Support Team so that they can remotely access your Computer to help you further with this:

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.