Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

the printer is HARD WIRED to the network. the client computers are a mix of hard wired and wifi. most clients are windows 10, but there are also 2 Macs running el captain. 

sometimes when we don't print for a while, like a day or two, the first page comes out messed up. the page could either come out printed double over itself or just smugged/messed up. when we reprint it a minute later from the same computer, it looks fine.  this happens with client computers connected to the network wired and wifi. 

below is a sample of the "double prints" in case you don't know what i meant. 

sample of bad print

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@solomonshv

Printer Homepage

Drivers and Software, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, and more:

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer

From the document list in Troubleshooting:

HP OfficeJet Pro 8700 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality

Follow the steps in the order presented

At the least, complete the diagnostic tests and the cartridge alignment.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

updating the drivers was the first thing i tried.

this is NOT a quality issue. the qulaity is fine. the problem is the printer making double prints over itself at random times but work perfectly other times. 

HP Recommended
I have almost the exact same problem. Wired to network, clients all access via WiFi (Windows 10 and Android). Problem is with the first print after idle time as short as 5 hours so far and just like solomonshv the next print issue for me as well. This printer is still brand new (I just bought it last week) drivers are fresh from HP site, the firmware on the printer has been updated (version from April this year), and I'm still on the setup inks (I'm fairly sure there haven't been more that 2 dozen prints so far).

I'm about to pack it up and take back. I print very infrequently, but was attracted to the claim of price per page being 50% of other (even laser printing), but if I'm losing the first page every time that is pretty much nullified for me.
HP Recommended
Correction: Problem is with the first print after idle time as short as 5 hours so far and just like solomonshv the next print IS FINE for me as well.
HP Recommended

@VJScruff

I don't have an answer to this.  Other Experts are unlikely to read your post -- this is an old thread -- if you would like "fresh eyes" on the subject, please start your own thread on the subject.  Be sure you include your printer model and Operating System version where asked when you start the thread.

You do, of course, have the option to return the printer.

Before you do so, consider contacting HP Technical Support to ask for help / options:

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts 

Open Browser to HP Forum,

Scroll down to the bottom of the page,

Click Contact HP

Click Shopping or Support > Get Started

Technical Support Details

USA / Canada

1. Submit information online: HP Customer Support - USA / Canada - Contact > Get started
  2. Click the Blue “?” to see help on finding your Product Number / Serial Number
  3. View Contact options

UK

1. For faster support, submit information online HP Customer Support - UK - Contact
  2. Contact Phone: 0207 660 0596

Everywhere else

HP World-Wide Support

Additional Information - "Things that are HP"

Need help finding your computer?

Visual search-and-click to assist finding your computer model

Help to find Product Information:

Warranty Check

NOTE:  Use the "multiple systems" method to check your single system or multiple systems

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter Serial Numberand Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Click the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit(at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts – Please READ:

Locked out of your computer?

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Optional Coverage Plans:

Enter your product number in the form to view available Warranty plans

CarePack Definitions:

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am an IT technician that supports over 200 clients in various hardware & configuartions

I have what I would call the same issue & so do some other clients that I recommend to buy this HP 8720 printer. We have used it on wireless Internet connections & also on an Ethernet connections. We have a mix of Apple Macs, Windows 10, iPhones & iPads. All can print to it. 

BUT... 

The issue is the double print at random. I haven’t worked out a pattern and I can’t fix it and the rotten thing is I’m sure HP can’t fix it & it’s not returnable. Usually I spend hours on the phone for no result. That time is the same as going out & buying a new printer. So who is going to pay me to do that? I believe it’s a firmware issue within the printer. 

Please fix it HP 

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem but I think the problem might be that the table my printer was on was not very sturdy and when I'd print a bunch of pages it would start to shake and move the print head back and forth horizontally. i've moved my printer to a sturdier desk and just printed 5 pages and they looked great. Hoping this solves the problem and helps someone else!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.