Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP OFFICEJET J6480 ALL-IN-ONE. The left HINGE of the cover has broken while changing the cartridge.  How could I replace it?

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tyson1, you can give HP @8004746836 and see what options they have to replace or repair the unit.

View solution in original post

119 REPLIES 119
HP Recommended

The same thing happened to mine.  I would appreciate ny help on where to find a replacement hinge.

HP Recommended

The same thing happened to mine.  That makes 3.

HP Recommended

I'm #4. How do I fix????

HP Recommended

That makes me #5.  It is my right hinge...the one not involving any electronic ribbon.  I hope some one can help.  I've unscrewed the hinges and removed at least half of each so that I could close the printer.

HP Recommended

I think I'm number 6. The left hinge broke when I raised the cover to clear a paper jam.  The spring-loaded plunger won't let the cover seat.  I'm about ready to start cutting.

HP Recommended

Can't replace it. Just remove 1/2 of it. 

Officejet J6480 All-in-One

I have the right hinge broken.  I removed the 5 screws,
one for the hinge cover in the back, and
4 holding the top hinge in place.

Once removed the top closed fine.  I will be careful in opening it to replace the ink.  It takes a hex head screw driver: T9 X 40.  I got a new cartridge and it is working fine with the top half of the hinge gone. Note:  the bottom broke but I removed the top only.

I have not tried any major copy jobs or scanning but I don't see that they would be effected.

HP Tec Support offered me a 6500N for ~ $100 about $30 off from what I could get from Sam's Club.  Not sure if it is the exact printer from Sam's.

HP Recommended

Thanks to gmross for the instructions.

Easy to disassemble as noted and printer functioning fine.  I removed top and bottom hinges completely.

I went a step further and epoxied some brass cabinet hinges on the back, mostly for a laugh but the printer/scanner etc  is working fine.

HP Printer $150

Brass hinges and 5 minute epoxy $5

The look of my printer  Priceless

HP Recommended

Hi gmross3267,

Same thing for me on my HP J6480 broken right side hinge.  I was able to remove the small plastic panel and two screws behind the top hinge, but how did you get to the two screws under the lid toward the rear of the hinge without removing the whole top cover. I would just like to remove the top part of the hinge so the lid will shut completely. 

Thanks for your assistance.

HP Recommended

1.  With the top all the way open 90°, lift up the top on the right side just enough to expose the two screws being very careful not to hurt the other side hinge.  Support the top against something so it does not fall open any farther.  Note the angle of the top cover in the picture.  The picture is without the top part of the hinge. 

(Where can I send a picture?)

Other method: 

2.  If you can get lid closed all the way, the little cover has to come off.  It is ~ 1 X 3 MM.

Then you can get to the other two screws on the hinge.  The top has to be closed and get the screws from the back.  I don't think I did it this way. 

Hope this helps,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.