Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

gmross,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I can't get my cover (the one that exposes the ink cartridges) open more than 45 degrees.  It stops there and seems to lock in place allowing the user the ability to use both hands when replacing the ink cartridges.

I was able to remove the back panel and the two screws without any problem, it's the two remaining underneath that I can't seem to reach with the allen wrench. 

My email is [Personal Information Removed] if you would like to send a picture.  Hopefully you can inform me on how to get my cover to open up to the 90 degrees.  I can open the cover to the scanning glass 90 degrees, but not the cover to the ink cartridges.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to assist me.  I hoping not to have to pay for a new printer at this time.  I looked at the HP OfficeJet 6500A today on sale at Costco for $ 99.99, but I would like to keep the one I have a bit longer if possible.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with gaining access to the inside screws on the left hinge. The cartridge cover only opens to about 45 degrees.

HP Recommended

I was able to raise my cartage cover to 90°.  I did contact HP and got a new 6500 A Plus.  I had to put down the ~ $89.  I was going to keep the old printer.  I then found out HP is to credit back the $89 to my credit card once they get the old printer back.  I got an email to that effect before I returned it.  The foreign help desks have a number of things that get lost in translation.  Also as I recall the phone connection was not the best.  

Side note:

My wife was on a company international call.  The company cultural language is U.S. English. The other parties were French and Chinese.  They could not talk to each other.  They both were talking “English” but it was a waste of time. 

HP took out your email so you are on you own as far as a visual goes.    

HP Recommended

Same thing has happened to me......I have always been very gentle with the printer.  Today I could not get it to print, so I slowly opened the lid and snap - there went the hinge on the right side.   I see numerous people posting this same issue.  Hopefully, something will be done to correct this issue

HP Recommended

How do I get the whole cover to open 90 degrees when the one hinge is broken. I am a disabled vet with a migraine right now and it has me stumped. Please help. I am used to doing fixits...using s brass hinge sounds great I just need to get the broken hinge off. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Officejet J6480 All-in-One from 07-27-2011 07:14 PM
I think I'm number 6. The left hinge broke when I raised the cover to clear a paper jam.  The

spring-loaded plunger won't let the cover seat.  I'm about ready to start cutting.

I have the right hinge broken. It can't be replaced so I just removed the top half.
I removed the 5 screws, 1 for the hinge cover in the back, and 4 holding the top hinge in place.
It takes a hex head screw driver: T9 X 40.  Note: the bottom broke but I removed the top half only.
 1.  If you can get lid closed all the way, the little covers has to come off the back.  It is ~ 1 X

3 MM.  The top has to be closed and get the screws from the back.
 2.  With the top all the way open 90°, lift up the top on the right side just enough to expose the

two screws being very careful not to hurt the other side hinge.  Support the top against something so

it does not fall open any farther.  Once the hinge broke I was able to open the printer 90°.
 3.  Then you can get to the other two screws on the hinge.  Then I was able to raise my cartage

cover to 90°. Once removed the top closed fine. 
Note:  Be very careful in opening it to replace the ink. 

I got a new cartridge and it is working fine with the top half of the hinge gone.
-----------------------
Another person went a step farther:
Easy to disassemble as noted and printer functioning fine.  I removed top and bottom hinges

completely.  I went a step further and epoxied some brass cabinet hinges on the back, mostly for a

laugh but the printer/scanner etc  is working fine.  HP Printer $150 vs a brass hinges and 5 minute

epoxy $5. The look of my printer, Priceless! 
------------------

I don't know about the 90° problem but I do know that I was able to get it to open to 90°. 

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Add one more. My left hinge broke today. Not happy about this. Can't lift the lid more than 45 degrees (never could). I'll try and remove that star screw and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Update: I think people may be referring to different hinges here. I am talking about the "hinge" for the larger upper portion of the J6480 that is opened to access the printer cartridges. I removed the screw holding a small white cover in place, then two screws on the upper hinge (the heads faced down, so this was difficult). It didn't help at all. I could not remove either the upper or lower part of that "hinge". The issue here seems to be that the bottom part of the hinge has popped up and will not go back down. My workaround at the moment is to press down on the left rear corner of the lid so the printer sees the door as closed - I got it to print, but this is a P.I.T.A. and I'm not happy. Where the h%** is the service manual. If HP would make that available, there's a very good chance I could fix this myself.

HP Recommended

That's the same thing I found. I just couldn't get to the screws. I am doing the same thing: just making sure the left side of the cover is down far enough so the printer will work. There has to be some way that HP techs can take the whole cover off though to work on the inside. Unless they just junk the printer when it happens. It would be nice if someone from HP would post an answer for us!

HP Recommended
My second hinge just snapped. With such a widespread problem you'd think HP would step up with a recall. I searched far and wide for a replacement part to no avail.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.