Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to print the pages are just blank.  The ink cartridge levels are fine. When it's printing, it sounds like something is actually being printed on the page but it's completely blank. I've tried to use the Clean Printhead option under the Tools section on the printer multiple time.  I have tried to take out the ink cartridges and put them back in.  I've tried printing the Print Quality Diagnostic but it just comes out blank.  I've tried restarting it as well.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @ptotheaul ,

Welcome to the HP Support-Community.

I think  the cartridges are dried out. Please try this with both cartridges:

Take a handkerchief and one cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong, colored strip. Is this the case?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

Is there ink on the handkerchief?

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

The color cartridge had some ink.  The black cartridge was very fait and did not get darker after wetting the handkerchief. 

HP Recommended

It had been a very long time since I printed anything.  Could it be that the cartridges are dried up even though it says there is ink in them?  I don't want to spend money on new cartridges if the printer is broken.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@ptotheaul wrote:

It had been a very long time since I printed anything.  Could it be that the cartridges are dried up even though it says there is ink in them?

That's exactly the problem. I can assure you that's not a problem with the printer.

As you mentioned, the cartridges are dried out.

You can try once again the trick with the handkerchief but if this doesn't help, you need to invest into new cartridges... 😐

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.