Post new question
Question
hp officejet 6500 error-general printer error
Replies (43)

Ctk Student
Student
Message 21 of 44 (7,345 Views)

Re: hp officejet 6500 709a error-general printer error

I followed all directions, had no paper anywhere. It still gives me that error. I was able to get it printing by unplugging the unit and wall plug - but still shows the error message. 0x610000f6

Also, when I install my color cartridges, they never show full and read empty up even without use within a month.

My unit is 1.5 years old.

Student
Message 22 of 44 (7,323 Views)

Re: hp officejet 6500 error-general printer error

Hi,

I have tried everything that I have found online to fix the general printer error I have but nothing is working.  Please help.  The error code is 0x610000f6.

Student
Message 23 of 44 (7,231 Views)

i have hp officejet 6500a plus sowing on the printer screen  there is a problem with the printer refer to printer documantion 0x610000f6

Intern
Message 24 of 44 (7,231 Views)

If after trying above solution also If you are facing the same problem with your hp officejet 6500 then I think you should try to solve this issue by resetting your printer. If you want to reset your hp officejet 6500 printer then you have to follow these procedures. First you have to first turn on the printer and after that you have to disconnect all the cable from your printer and after that you have to wait for some time and then connect your printer cable again and then press the power button after few seconds if printer does not turn on automatically. Now after doing that try to print again.
tecnical support for hp printing
Top Student
Message 25 of 44 (6,996 Views)

I also have the dreaded 0x61011 bec error and believe that it comes from the paper feed rollers.  During the initialization paper should feed into the printer to run the alignment test.  When it comes to that point it goes through the gyrations like it's sucking up a sheet but it doesn't.  I don't see the two rubber feed rollers drop down on  the top of the paper to pull it up to the carriage. 

I called HP and plunked down my $24.95 to let them troubleshoot it.  We went through exactly the same tests with the same result.  Their final answer:  Buy a new printer!  I could get a refurb 6500a  for $129.  Told him OfficeMax sells them for $119.  Said he could sell me a 6600 for $134..  That's a good price but I hate throwing away what was a perfectly good 14month old 6500aPlus. 

I'm gonna try and find the service manual or some breakdown and tear this *ucker apart.  Goes against my grain to not be able to repair things.  (too many trips down to the tube tester at Radio Shack).

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR  HP6500a+  OWNERS

One thing:  to reset the 6500a+  the *+9 doesn't work.  On powering up, you tap the back-arrow key 4 times. This gives you a tools menu, tap, gives you a string of numbers, press OK.  According to the "engineer" (ha ha) this does a factory reset.  Kind of sounds like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.  Too bad we can't get him to solve this mystery.

Good luck to all..

Intern
Message 26 of 44 (6,979 Views)

Your OfficeJet 6500 may need resetting. With the printer power on:

1) Disconnect the USB cable from your computer
2) Remove the ink cartridges
3) Unplug the power cord. Wait for at least 1 minute. Plug the unit back in (press the power button if necessary)
4) Wait for the "Insert Cartridges" message. Reinstall the cartridges
5) Close the product doors
6) If you receive a recalibration message, allow the printer to complete this task
7) Reconnect the USB cable
8) Try your print job again

Student
Message 27 of 44 (6,207 Views)

After watching the video, I checked the inside with a flashlight. OMG!! The ink build up on the right was unbelievable. I have had the printer just shy of three years. I gloved up and spent about 30 minutes pulling out three years worth of gunked up ink. The printer is working and the error message has finally stopped.

Honor Student
Message 28 of 44 (5,949 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi all, my conclusion is: this printer is one big piece of s... I followed all the instructions ALL OF THEM. At the beginning, the video helped me 3 or 4 times to resolve the issue (but I still have no clue why the message "general printer error" appears since I never had any paper jam issue). Sometimes it was enough to close the printer doors or move the cartridges. I spent hours and hours and I still have this message. There was never an issue of a paper jam, nor spilled ink or anything like that...

As one user said the reason of getting the message is still unknown (apart from the paper jam issue). I regret having bought the printer and not having return it on time while it was still under warranty (it's hardly 1.5 year old). I spent a lot of money buying original cartidges (it was the first reason I bought the printer- it was supposed to be cheap in cartridges!!!) although we use it very rarely. It seems that they dry out very quickly, it's a disaster. Never again! 

Honor Student
Message 29 of 44 (5,934 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi again, I cannot believe it! After the last 3 days that I spent FULL-TIME trying to fix the issue, I hit the printer today 3 times quite strongly and it got to work again without any issue :-/ It aligned the cartridges, printed out the print report...No "general printer error" message so far (till next time I guess :-), it prints and copies. It looks like it's a very fragile product and most of the users have no clue why this message appears nor how to fix it (regardless all the instructions given in the forum). I maintain my opinion about this printer...

Intern
Message 30 of 44 (5,814 Views)

1. Plug it directly into the wall, rather than into a UPS

2. Verify that the unit is switched on. Disconnect the USB/Ethernet cable from the All-in-One and also disconnect power cable from All-in-One and also from wall outlet.
3. Wait 30 seconds.
4. Plug in the power cable to All-in-One and also to wall outlet.
5. Check for the functionality.

I still had the error message, so they said to reset the printer to factory default settings:

1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on and wait for 20 seconds.
2. Then, press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord.
Continue holding until it displays Semi Full Reset message in the front panel of the All-in-One.

My message was "Semi NVM Reset," then it went back to the error message again.

HP then said "I am sorry to inform you that we have tried all the possible troubleshooting steps that should resolve the issue. However, the issue at hand seems to be with the hardware malfunction of the unit."

Since my printer was still under warranty, HP offered to send me a new one in exchange, or said I could take it back to the store where I bought it, even though I no longer had the original box, installation CD, etc. They said if the store would not take it back, contact HP again, who would exchange it. I decided to take it back to the store where I bought it, who exchanged it for the exact same model with no problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation