09-19-2019 03:12 PM - last edited on 09-19-2019 03:30 PM by Jacky-D
Using a MacBook Pro software version 10.14.6 and my HP Officejet Pro 8610 is stuck in idle mode. I have done all shutdown protocoles, reset, reinstall printer without success. I have disconnected and reconnected my printer to my wireless network twice...no changes. I am desperate and need to urgently print a document!
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-22-2019 09:14 AM
@Cristallyne, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Try making a standalone copy and check if that works.
Also, try printing a test page
On the printer control panel home screen, swipe left, and then touch Setup.
Swipe up, touch Print Reports, and then touch Printer Status Report.
For now, let us try these steps:
Reset the printer
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.
Update the printer firmware
Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Also, check for any software updates on MAC
Click here to know how.
To check the communication between the printer and the MAC, perform a PING test
- Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
- On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
- Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
- Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
- Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
09-22-2019 10:52 AM
I did everything recommended. My printer is still in idle mode. I can print from my iPad but cannot print from MacBook Pro nor from iPhone! I completed the Ping test - it said 10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received and 0.0% lost.
09-23-2019 06:40 AM
Are you able to make copies on the printer and print a test page?
Try creating a new user account on the MAC and then try printing. To know how, refer to this document.
Also, on the MAC, access the EWS page of the printer and try printing a test page to check if that works.
- Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
- Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
- If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
- Go to Tools > print a test page.
Keep me posted for further assistance.
I am an HP Employee