Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PHOTOSMART 6520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

NEW INK CARTRIDGE WILL NOT PRINT BLACK

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @ctate1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Check ink levels

On the printer, touch Settings, touch Tools, and then touch Estimated Ink Levels.

Clean the printhead

• Touch Settings, touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead.

• If the print quality is unacceptable on the page that prints, touch Clean Again to perform a second cleaning, and then continue to the next step.

• Also, perform step 3 from this document.

Run a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer, touch Settings, touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have taken all of these steps without success.  This is the 2nd new cartridge that I have purchased.  The black ink will print a preprinted form, including the black ink text on your diagnostic sheet, but none of my saved documents will print, so I know the black ink will work.  I have updated drivers, deleted and reinstalled the printer, uninstalled and reinstalled Windows updates...  many of your customers are having the same issue.

HP Recommended

@ctate1

Since the Quality Diagnostic Page prints fine, I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed your instructions twice with no luck.  I can print an attachment from email and can print photos, but cannot print my Microsoft Office Word or Excel saved documents.

HP Recommended

@ctate1 If the issue is limited to printing via MS office word or Excel alone, here's what you need to do:

The issue could have been caused by the security settings changed on the user profile.

You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC.

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings:

• Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
  • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK
  • if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, this did not solve the issue.  I can print pdf and adobe acrobat documents, but not MS Word or Excel docs.  I read somewhere that a Windows update could be causing the problem.  Do you know if that is true, and if so, which update should I uninstall?

HP Recommended

@ctate1 That's quite possible, the best thing to do, though, is a system restore as it would be almost impossible to find exactly which update caused the issue.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.