Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy PHOTO 7155
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I specifically bought a photo printer. I noticed that I go through ink cartridges very quickly so I decided this time to keep track. After only 52 each 4 X 6 photos, I am getting stripes of missing color which normally tells me that I am running out of ink which is the case. The website says that the 64XL (high yield) color cartridge has output of 415 pages. Please comment.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

those yields are just an estimate.  Most of the time those numbers are based on a 5% paper coverage only so if your printing more than 5% or there are images or larger text your INK will run out faster,  In reality you could get 10 pages out of a ink if you cover a full page.  You might want to look at a color printer that takes toners over inks.  Hope this info helps 

HP Recommended

I bet their test print has a lot of white space.

HP Recommended

there is a large difference between HPs claim of 415 page output and my actual output of 52 pages. Where are the other 350 pages I am supposed to be able to print? If the HP estimate of 415 pages is only an estimate, then they need to look up the definition of estimate. I obviously made a big mistake with purchase of this printer. Maybe I can give it away to a non profit.

HP Recommended

The stated page yields are based on an industry standard measurement system, (ISO/IEC 24711).  See the document here for details.

A 4x6 photo has much more ink per page than the standard test page, and printing on photo paper uses much more ink than printing on plain paper settings.

If you are printing a lot of photo's you might consider the HP Instant Ink program.  You subscribe to a certain number of pages per month and pay a flat monthly fee for that number of pages.  Unused pages can carry forward for two months.  You could print three 4x6 photo's on a letter size page and it would count the same as printing a simple black text page.  For normal printing the savings are about 50%, but the savings are better if you are printing photos.  See here for information on the Instant Ink program.

Be sure to read and understand the terms of the Instant Ink program before signing up.  In particular, understand the cartridges provided by the Instant Ink program remain the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program as they will no longer work in your printer after the program is canceled.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.