Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, I've been a long-term HP customer and always have been satisfied. But now, My C6380 has been showing an "ink system failure 0xc19a0020" and I can't fix it with your site or any of the forums. I've tried all suggestions and recommendations. Apparently, this has been an issue for at least 4yrs - going back thru comments on the forums!! What?? I just bought a whole lot of new HP inks and now I have no printer!! I obviously need a new printhead and I would really appreciate if you would send me one!! Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

gisele2828,

Sorry if this has already been tried but have you taken the cartridges out, taken the printhead out, unplugged the printer, manually cleaned the copper contacts on the carriage, printhead, and ink cartridges where the carriage and printhead meet and where the printhead and ink cartridges meet, reconnected the power, placed the printhead and cartridges back in, then tried to print?

Click here to see a detailed description of the following steps for when An Alphanumeric Code (Example: '0x...' or 'C2...') or 'Ink System Failure' Error Message Displays on the Front Panel When Printing.

No, my error code or message does not include the words 'Ink System Failure.'
Yes, my error code or message includes the words 'Ink System Failure.'

Click here to see and use the HP Product Warranty Check for the printer.

Click here to see and use the Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads.

Click here for the HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers* for further troubleshooting and/or go for a replacement.

There are many ways to contact HP.  A good number to call is 1-800-474-6836

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended
I have done everything as suggested, resetting and cleaning, and have reached solution 4.

"Solution four: Replace the printhead
If the previous solutions did not resolve the issue, replace the printhead. Contact HP support to obtain a replacement printhead.
Click Contact HP ( ) on this page for more support options."

So now I am contacting you to please send me a new printhead. I have about $150 worth of new 564 ink sitting on my desk and now I have no printer!! I am a long-term customer, and most certainly would appreciate it! Thanks,
Sarene
HP Recommended

Thank you for being a long time HP customer, it is most appreciated.  There is personal information that will need to be used that shouldn't be posted on the forums.  Please use the above warranty information to replace the printhead.

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended
I don't understand. I looked at the date on the printhead and it says may 9th, 2009. I bought my printer long after that!! Staples was selling printers with expired cartridges?? And to clarify, HP DOES NOT stand behind its products past a year? HP expects people to go out and spend $300 every year to replace printers?? I can't even figure what part number this printhead is for a c6380 using ink 564. I have a ton of new HP ink that is now a waste of money? I would like a supervisor to read this issue please.
HP Recommended

just so it's clear, the expiration date on my printhead turned out to be a full 6 months BEFORE I even purchased the printer!!  so HP was supplying expired product and the store was selling it for profit.  effectively nullifying the warranty out the door because the expiration date on the printhead CAME FIRST, before the year was up.  what exactly do you call those kinds of business practices???

HP Recommended

If you are trying to replace the printhead, the best options will be presented by contacting HP with the above information.  Were you able to contact HP to have all questions answered and issues fixed?  By contacting HP, the agents will help you find the right part number, use the in and out of warranty options for HP printers, etc...

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended

I thought you were HP support!!  I went thru the HP website!  Who are you if you're not HP and why was I wasting my time with someone who had no authority to make a decision and send a printhead???  This it "out of warranty" because the printhead expired before I even purchased the printer!

HP Recommended

Thank you for working with me on this.  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and not that of HP but I do work for HP.  The HP Forums are a user to user type of support.  I can't replace anything through the forums for security and privacy reasons.  The date printed on the printhead isn't the warranty's end date but with the printer being this old the warranty is more than likely no longer applicable.  I do want to be sure that we're finding the best options available for you by contacting HP.

I was able to find a few threads here that may help in the troubleshooting also.

Re: C6380 - Ink System Failure 0xc19a0023 error message

Re: Photosmart 0xc19a0023 Ink System Failure

After trying to troubleshoot and use the in or out of warranty options, I would have to say that the next best option is to order a printhead.

We can use the HP Replacable Parts Store to order a printhead by clicking here > selecting your region > select the HP Replacable Parts Store > search for the part number of the printhead (CN642A) > checkout.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended

thanks, kenny, I do appreciate the work you've put into this but I see no reason why I should spend $36 to replace the pinhead myself because it's out of warranty.  and according to the rules I read, the expiration came FIRST, which made the warranty void upon purchase.  I also see no reason why I should call and spend unknown time on the support line on hold, repeating my story over and over, or spend $40 on a 1-time call for an out of warranty issue.  If you can bump this whole thread up to a supervisor who has the authority to send me a printhead, I would appreciate it.  Otherwise, the printer, which I did happen to really like, is garbage, and it's a story to be told in the forums I belong to.  HP quality isn't what it was and neither is customer service, unfortunately (except for you of course, you have kept at it.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.