Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just changed all inktcartridges in my printer. My black inktcartridge wont work.. Only the colours work... Is it because my previous black cartridge was not from HP? What can I do?

I bought a new hp cartridge and have the same problem.

i reinstalled de printer: problem not solved

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@brigi, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The use of a non-HP ink cartridge is not recommended. It may harm the print mechanism. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Perform steps 11 and 12 from this document.

Now, print a Print Quality Diagnostic page

Refer to step 8 in the same document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did an update of the software. Everything seems ok.

when I want to print a text for ex calibri 11, you don't see de text on the print.

When I print a text in calibri 48, you only see the upper part of the letters.

HP Recommended

@brigi

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

If the issue is specific to one particular application, try repairing it or reinstalling it.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I used word, excel and pdf. Some lines are printed and other lines not. It is the same in the 3 applications.

HP Recommended

@brigi

To resolve print quality issues,  let us try these steps:

Clean the ink cartridges

Perform steps 11 and 12 from this document.

Once done, align the printer

Refer to step 10 in the same document.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic page

1. Touch and hold the Power button (), and then press the Cancel button ().

2. Let go of the Cancel button and then the Power button. The test page prints.

Try printing or make a copy and check if the issue persists.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.