Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 e-allinone
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Printer is about 4 years old.  Just changed inks (HP inks) and printer would only print in B&W.  I cleaned the printhead and aligned it as well.   Alignment failed, so I cleaned the printhead again.  Black ink leaked onto the paper.  I took out the cartridge and wiped it off but I don't know what to do next.  I am reluctant to remove the printhead to clean it.  Anyone know if it is difficult?  Or why the blank ink is leaking??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While I don't disagree, it might be worth the investment to purchase a new printhead if you just purchased new ink cartridges. I know they're expensive. Additionally, the new printhead comes with a brand new set of ink cartridges.

If you do decide to buy a new printer, I suggest purchasing a printer similar to this one in that it has 4 ink cartridges (instead of two: black and tricolor) and a touchscreen control panel. 

Good luck! 

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Does an error message accompany the leak?

Removing the printhead is actually very simple, but before you do that, confirm if the printhead or ink cartridge is leaking. If the cartridge is leaking, replace it. If the printhead is leaking, you will need to replace the printhead. I'll await your response.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Here are the steps for the alignment issue in entirety.

An 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays on the All-in-One

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello , 

I see that you have tried all the possible troubleshooting. 

I'd suggest you to have the Printhead replaced .

If your printer is Out Of Warranty, you use the below URL and follow the instructions mentioned in Step# 9 

URL : https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---N9/4322914...

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I changed the black ink to see if it would still be leaking - and it did.  Makes me think I have to clean the printhead.  Or did you mean that I have to REPLACE the printhead?

HP Recommended

Sounds like you need to replace the printhead.

Replacing the Printhead for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer Series

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I changed the black ink to see if it would still be leaking - and it did.  Makes me think I have to clean the printhead.  Or did you mean that I have to REPLACE the printhead?  There was no error message...

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'd suggest you to go for Printhead Replacement .

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Part #CR322A  a new print head costs $120 at HP.  Cheaper to buy a new printer!

Thanks for your help!!!

HP Recommended

Part #CR322A  a new print head costs $120 at HP.  Cheaper to buy a new printer!  Thanks for your help!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.