Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Also worked for me after a second round of "clean printhead".

HP Recommended

I did the clean smear and clean print head options but it still won't print black. If I print color it's very light.

HP Recommended

I followed the steps as suggested by the HP employee to no avail. The black is still not printing. The printer worked fine before I changed the black cartridge. The colour cartridges are all working.

HP Recommended

My ink cartridge is nowhere near empty and the black ink has just stopped printing. It printed fine just last week. Does anyone know if the cleaning kit is just alcohol, or will alcohol work to clean the print heads? I've cleaned the heads several times and it's still not working.

HP Recommended

Wow, it took about 10 print head cleaning cycles to get the problem resolved. I was just short of ordering that overpriced cleaning kit too. Considering I spent only $99 for the printer, it really didn't make sense. Thanks for all the tips here in the forum. I just kept trying to see if it worked and it did.

HP Recommended

@LRobert

Welcome to the HP support community.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future of you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried everything including a hard start and the black ink still will not print. HELP!!

HP Recommended

It took me about 10 print head cleanings and restarts, then it finally worked. Keep trying. If 10x doesn't work, watch the video that shows how to clean the printheads with the cleaning kit. I almost ordered it but I didn't want to spend the money.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.