Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP G56 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Additional to my HP deskjet 3750 wireless printer, for the sake of additional flexibility, I managed to install my old printer HP 3920/3940 and windows 10 declared it ready to use. However, when I tried to print a test page, nothing happened other than observing a transient document to print "1"  which then suddenly  became "0".  This was observed on the printer page "See what's  printing". 

The printer is ok as it prints fine on another laptop running Windows 7 32 bit when connected (USB cable)

Meantime I found out that HP no longer supports this model and the question can, therefore,  be stated otherwise, such as "Can a non supported printer still work on windows 10 pro?" If the answer is no, the next question is :  "Can the system then be tweaked to allow the printer to work ?"

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Andreas11, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

To Know about the HP Printers compatible with Windows 10, click here

There is no HP Driver available for a HP Deskjet 3920/3940. However, you can try installing the printer using the Windows Built-in drivers.

Refer to this document to know how. (USB Connection)

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, the printer is already installed and recognised as installed by word on my pc telling me in fact that it is ready to print! But when I try to print nothing happens. I observed the "See a what's printing page" and what actually happens when a test print is sent to the printer  a "1" appears in number of documents but soon enough that "1" becomes "0" and nothing happens. Device manager says the printer works normally and yet no printing takes place. Could it be a question of compatibility? Why I ask is that when I connect same printer to my other laptop with Windows 7 there is no problem with printing. Please advise next step and thank you for your willingness to help.

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

This is a driver related issue. As mentioned in my previous post there are no HP drivers for this printer. Since the printer prints fine from Win 7 PC, the hardware part of the printer is working fine.

The PC is recognizing the printer, However, it is not able to print because of the driver. Installing the Windows Built-in drivers may resolve this issue.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I removed the device and reinstalled it. On completion I tried print test page and again nothing happened. Device manager says that the device is working normally. Once again I tried to print though WORD which identifies printer to be ready to print but alas again nothing happens. What next?

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

If the Windows Built-in drivers did not help, try installing HP Smart app

Click here to download and know more about HP Smart.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar investigating further I got the following from Device Manager: Device USB\VID_03F0&PID_7604\CN58B1741C048H requires further installation..

Is this likely to be met by the smart install method?

HP Recommended

Kumar Smart install fails to detect printer. When run it identifies the wireless printer only. It gives the option to change printer which I selected and it struggles for some time  without detecting the printer which is connected and switched on as originally required.. I think HP filters out all unsupported printers as is my HP 3940. I cannot explain this strange behaviour otherwise and do really need help to proceed. Next step please?

HP Recommended

Kumar here is some more information  I managed to get from my pc: 

Device SWD\PRINTENUM\{81F78548-7540-4A2B-AA15-EAE6AECF3BE1} was configured.

Driver Name: printqueue.inf
Class Guid: {1ed2bbf9-11f0-4084-b21f-ad83a8e6dcdc}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: NO_DRV_LOCAL
Driver Rank: 0x1
Matching Device Id: PRINTENUM\LocalPrintQueue
Outranked Drivers: oem5.inf:hpdeskjet_39004c4d:00FF0002 c_swdevice.inf:SWD\GenericRaw:00FF3001
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: SWD\PRINTENUM\PrintQueues

Can this help?

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

Thank you for the detailed response.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.