Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 6830 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

my printer will not connect to the wi-fi after the latest w10 update but it has been fine for years

I have spent the best part of a day following everything on the website and community posts and downloading various fixes and drivers and diagnostic tools but nothing has changed

I tried getting in touch with an HP advisor but kept getting thrown back to the same routes I've tried several times already

has anyone any idea what to do from here on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kenmoore,

If the wireless light is blinking on the printer it means that it is not connected to your router.

Is your router configured for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency?

Meanwhile, I recommend you restore network defaults on the printer and then try connecting it again to your router?

Here is how it is done.

To restore the printer to the original factory settings

1. From the printer control panel display, touch Setup.

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Settings.

5. Select which function you would like to restore to the original factory settings: 

● Network

Touch Restore.

6. A message appears stating that the settings will be restored. Touch Yes

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@kenmoore,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to print after a latest Windows update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the wireless light status on the printer? (Blinking or Steady)

Are you able to make a copy?

Meanwhile, the HP Print and Scan Doctor might get this sorted out

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor from this Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Also, try using the HP Smart App and let me know if that helps. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh

You can refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640 for more information on HP Smart App

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The Fossette

thanks for your reply.

As I wrote in my post, I've already tried the solutions you describe and they do not work.

I have downloaded and run PSDR but as the printer cannot establish a connection that solution does nothing.

I have had the HP Smart App for years and that is no use either.

The blue wireless connection light is blinking - I don't understand what you mean about making a copy.

The latest message I have is that my router's MAC is filtering the connection and needs turning off but I have no idea how to do that so I have arranged for the phone company to send an engineer to take a look.

Everything worked perfectly for years before this latest W10 update so I can only presume it's the update that has messed everything up.

HP Recommended

@kenmoore,

If the wireless light is blinking on the printer it means that it is not connected to your router.

Is your router configured for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency?

Meanwhile, I recommend you restore network defaults on the printer and then try connecting it again to your router?

Here is how it is done.

To restore the printer to the original factory settings

1. From the printer control panel display, touch Setup.

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Settings.

5. Select which function you would like to restore to the original factory settings: 

● Network

Touch Restore.

6. A message appears stating that the settings will be restored. Touch Yes

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, that's re-established the wi-fi connection but, unfortunately, it still isn't printing: the Smart app and the printer itself both show wi-fi connection and that the set-up is ready to go but it still will not print even though I have switched it on and off to make sure everything is reset properly

If I feed in paper the scan and copy work but, for some reason, not the print.

HP Recommended

Since writing the last response I have downloaded Print Doctor again and as the printer is now connected PD fixed the rest of the fault so my printer is working again so, thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.