Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Someone please help me with this:

My printer suddenly stopped printing color. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers and support software.

When I print a test page using the HP Printer Assistant it prints color. However none of my other apps will print color. Only black and white. In the apps (and in Settings-Devices) when I select Printer Properties / Print Quality the only options are Draft, Normal and Best. There are no boxes for selecting color, black only etc. There used to be.  It's as if it thinks it's a B&W printer.

There are no error messages and neither the Windows or HP troubleshooter programs detect anything.

I've seen posts here where others are describing the exact same problem but different printer model.  But NO SOLUTIONS.

I've already tried the ones for those other models.

Particulars:
WIN 10 ver. 10.0.18363 build 18363

printer = HP Officejet Pro 6968

connected via wired network
mother board = Asus H81-A-G3220 with a Pentium G3220 processor (this a desktop)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Doug67b Yes, please remove all entries and select both driver and package,

Thanks for the information, you can proceed with the rest of the steps, you seem to be doing it right.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Doug67b Greetings from the HP Community!

I recommend you try the copier as a stand-alone device without a computer and check if that works in color,:

• If it doesn't work, this could be a hardware issue,
  • however, if the copier works and yet, the print out from the computer doesn't work in color, you can try the below steps:
    • Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
    • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
    • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
    • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
    • Now check for issue resolution.
    • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
    • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
    • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting right back to me.

The copier function does print color.

I want to clarify a couple of things: 

After opening "printui.exe /s", under Print Server Properties / Drivers, should I remove all entries or only HP related?

When I selected the HP entry and clicked on the Remove box, a window popped up asking if I wanted to remove the driver or the driver & package.  Which should I choose?

Also a couple FYI's:

After opening "spool", in the Printers folder, here was only a folder named "5" which was empty.  I deleted that folder.

Also, I opened "C:/programdata" and looked in the Hewlett Packard (actually named HP) folder.  It is already empty.

Just want to be sure I'm doing this right.

HP Recommended

@Doug67b Yes, please remove all entries and select both driver and package,

Thanks for the information, you can proceed with the rest of the steps, you seem to be doing it right.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes.  This fix did the trick.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

What do I do next?

HP Recommended

Hi @Dudleymom

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Are you not able to print in color?
  • What model printer are you using?
  • Try making a standalone copy in color and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Envy 4501.  After installing a new Black Cartridge, now it wont print any color.  It showed it had about 1/4 color ink, so I installed a new one anyway, but still no color.  I have printed an alignment page, which is all black ink, and then when you scan it, it says something about print quality and asks if you want to restore default settings. I did the Clean Printhead,  and no change.  It printed fine in black and color until I installed a new Black ink cartridge. This is just a last ditch effort before I order a new printer.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Barbh4503

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Apologies for the inconvenience. I'd be happy to assist you. If you have tried the steps mentioned in this document and the issue persists, I'm afraid this could be a possible hardware issue with the printer. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.