01-17-2020 08:19 PM - edited 01-18-2020 11:17 AM
Someone please help me with this:
My printer suddenly stopped printing color. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers and support software.
When I print a test page using the HP Printer Assistant it prints color. However none of my other apps will print color. Only black and white. In the apps (and in Settings-Devices) when I select Printer Properties / Print Quality the only options are Draft, Normal and Best. There are no boxes for selecting color, black only etc. There used to be. It's as if it thinks it's a B&W printer.
There are no error messages and neither the Windows or HP troubleshooter programs detect anything.
I've seen posts here where others are describing the exact same problem but different printer model. But NO SOLUTIONS.
I've already tried the ones for those other models.
WIN 10 ver. 10.0.18363 build 18363
printer = HP Officejet Pro 6968
connected via wired network
mother board = Asus H81-A-G3220 with a Pentium G3220 processor (this a desktop)
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-20-2020 04:15 PM
@Doug67b Greetings from the HP Community!
I recommend you try the copier as a stand-alone device without a computer and check if that works in color,:
- If it doesn't work, this could be a hardware issue,
- however, if the copier works and yet, the print out from the computer doesn't work in color, you can try the below steps:
- Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
- Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
- Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
- Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
- Now check for issue resolution.
- If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
- First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
- Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
- Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
- Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
- Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
- Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
- Restart your computer.
Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE
FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE
(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)
Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you,
Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post,
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
01-21-2020 01:07 PM
Thanks for getting right back to me.
The copier function does print color.
I want to clarify a couple of things:
After opening "printui.exe /s", under Print Server Properties / Drivers, should I remove all entries or only HP related?
When I selected the HP entry and clicked on the Remove box, a window popped up asking if I wanted to remove the driver or the driver & package. Which should I choose?
Also a couple FYI's:
After opening "spool", in the Printers folder, here was only a folder named "5" which was empty. I deleted that folder.
Also, I opened "C:/programdata" and looked in the Hewlett Packard (actually named HP) folder. It is already empty.
Just want to be sure I'm doing this right.
01-22-2020 10:30 AM
@Doug67b Yes, please remove all entries and select both driver and package,
Thanks for the information, you can proceed with the rest of the steps, you seem to be doing it right.
I am an HP Employee