Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To Whom It May Concern: 

I purchased a 61 XL Color and Black ink cartridges from the Walmart in Hermiston, Oregon which is nearly 45 min. from my rural home for job search related work. When I placed my new color ink cartridge in it's designated port, the printer message I received stated that the color cartridge needed to be replaced. This is obviously frustrating since it is a new cartridge. Several attempts to re-seat, clean the ports etc. availed no different result therefore I am attempting to exchange the cartridge today.   I am a displaced, homeless veteran and need my printer to work so that I can secure livable wage employment. I have never used anything but HP ink in my printer. I am not in a position to replace it either and should not need to. The new black cartridge is working. 

Below are photos of the information which is generally required in situations such as this. Please advise as to how to proceed if the exchaged color cartridge also fails. 

Sencerly, 

Jennifer Brock

.Product Number and designated ink cartridge numberProduct Number and designated ink cartridge numberSerial Number sticker off of PrinterSerial Number sticker off of PrinterWalmart receipt for ink purchaseWalmart receipt for ink purchase

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JBB18

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer and you have installed new original HO ink cartridges into the printer. I read that the printer rejects the color cartridge and says to replace it. The black ink cartridge seems to work fine. 

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Since you have already performed the troubleshooting, I suggest you to review the steps from this HP article. In case any steps are missed out then you may perform them and check if it helps.

Finally, if nothing helps to make the color cartridge work then you may reach out to our HP phone support to seek a replacement for the color cartridge under the warranty. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I too am having problems with my color cartridges.I returned 2 of them to Walmart before giving up and am just running black only.I have been looking thru all of the complaints and wonder if you may have made an error and mislabeld 61 color cartridges that will not work the HP4632 printer.I saw an article were you have inserted different chip info in the cartridges. Have you made this mistake and will you be having a recall? If you want I can buy another cartridge and make a refund request under its warranty.Then you can have in hand a bad one and see just what may be the real problem,and that it is not suddenly 'bad' printers that need to be replaced with new ones.Or contact the Walmart in Napoleon,Ohio that have 2 'bad' ones right now.It is store #01416..Thanks

HP Recommended

I just encountered the same problem. I went through every step except buying yet another new cartridge. The store won't take the apparently defective cartridge back. I can put the old cartridge in and the printer will recognize it so the printer is not the issue. MKazi, are you saying the cartridge itself has a warranty? I'm not throwing another $50 away experimenting with new cartridges.

HP Recommended

ssi-robert, I just sent in one of the cartridges that is not working on my printer. I will post what reply I get back when they send one. One thing that I have noticed on the old vs new is that the electronic foil on the old ones is narrow and the new ones are wider.Could this be a problem? I don't know,only HP would know ,and I think there answer is always"bad printer" buy a new one!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.