Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet 4636
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

the officejet 4636 inkjet refuses the new color cartridge with the message " the cartridge must be replaced" (in German)

The old, empty cartridge is accepted again at any time w/o problem in change of a new full one.

I have tried:

2 new tricolor cartrigdges

cleaning the contact points

resetting the printer.

Any ideas???

Thks,

R.H. Vienna Austria

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

after receiving a new cartridge as replacement, the printer works normally again. The trouble was to have two defective cartridges, which I never experienced before.

So the matter is solved.

Thks anyway.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Hattinger

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If upon inserting your old ink cartridge, you don't get the error message, it is an issue with the new cartridge and it could be defective. You could either return it to the store/website you purchased it from or contact the HP Support Team regarding this.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Do the two new color ink cartridges also give the error message?

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thks for your hints,

yes, the two new color cartridges are both produching the error message, while the old, almost empty cartridge is accepted w/o message.

These new cartridges were purchased from different sources at different times, that's why I have some doubts, the fault being the cartridge. Up to now all replacement cartridges worked w/o any trouble.

Thks

HP Recommended

Are the new cartridges all HP cartridges?Did you try contacting the place of purchase to return/exchange it?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the cartridges are original HP products, type 301. Claim at the last supplier is in progress, the other cartridge has been purchased some weeks ago, so no guarantee can be claimed.

Rgds,

R. H.

HP Recommended

You can contact the HP Support Team regarding the replacement/refund of the other cartridge.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Could you be so kind to send me a link to the HP support team, where I can file this claim.

Thks

R.H.

HP Recommended

You can contact the HP Team using the link below:

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

after receiving a new cartridge as replacement, the printer works normally again. The trouble was to have two defective cartridges, which I never experienced before.

So the matter is solved.

Thks anyway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.