Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I own an HP OfficeJet Pro 8730.

1) admin password :

While setting up the  admin password, something went wrong.

It does not accept the combination user ( admin ? or Admin?) with the set password combination. 

I tried several combinations. I went through the answers addressing the same topic ( using the on-device screen - reset network settings ) .In vain.

The printer is connected over the wired LAN interface.

2) wifi : When connected over the wired LAN, i can see the that the printer is Broadcasting an SSID, it acts as an AP.  I can disable the WIFI AP  , or at least protect the access to it? How ? ( provided i get access with my password ( see above )😁.

thansk for your support you will give

kr

Geert

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The username should be admin (all lowercase)

If that doesn’t work, swipe down your finger to reveal the dashboard, then tap the gear icon and select Printer Maintenance.

Select Restore and the Restore Defaults and confirm any prompt.

Once the printer restarts, the administrator password should be removed.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Schlomi,

when following your instructions , I get a menu with multiple choices ; one of them being network settings . 

I selected network settings to restore to defaults . That doesn't help. 

I used user id = "admin"and left the password blank. I have still no access to the different settings notably WiFI  [ that is where it all started ☹️

I selected all the settings [fax scanner photo ... } 

that doesn't help neither ...

so what can I do now  

note it is about the admin access to the printer..

so not solved yet

txs for your partience 

kr 

Geert

HP Recommended

some additional info : 

I searched the Web  and found solutions to a partial and semi-full reset

still when executing this , all setup of different features through web access are locked out :

i can not configure the security features of the device ( wireline and wireless)

Based on this, the device becomes a liability to my network  and a buirden for my business 

I will have to remove it from the network and replace it with some thing else if this is not solved in the shortest timer 

kr

Geert

sorry to say this  

HP Recommended

dear HP support,

this 8730 admin password issue is lingering on ; reading from other comments I am not the only who is fighting this password issue...

so to summarize:

I did  semi full reset ( yes by going through the bottom left ( tap 4 times on the bottom left, etc ...):  no result, still locked out

I did  disconnect it from the power while the printer was on and  I managed to do  a "restore factory default settings": I still do not get access to the printer settings ( webaccess, security settings, wireless settings, E  print devices...)

And still no way to reset the password!

as mentioned: It is a liability - security wise-  and HP is not supporting/not able to get it solved.

If you need to send me a pm so get it solved, do so.

kr 

Geert

HP Recommended

Swipe down your finger to reveal the dashboard, then tap the gear icon and select Printer Maintenance.

Select Restore and the Restore Factory Defaults, then confirm any prompt.

Restart the printer and check for any difference

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomil,

txs for your support

I reset the different paramaters to factory defaults after turning off and on , after unplugging from the mains 

I don't get access to the printer settings ( wifi, network, other settings,...)  see attached : it remains the same.

I see some posts where a PM is then sent to the customer with special procedures to get around this.

Again , the printer is becoming useless , less then 8 months after purchase...

txs

kr

Geert

20200103 prinetr result .png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.