Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just installed a new printer head to the tune of $120.00. It came with set-up cartridges that you are required to use. Installed new  printer head and cartridges. Now I get the error message of cartridges missing or damaged. I have taken out the cartridges and printer head about 5 times and still get the message. Do I dare try using my old cartridges (which were actually brand new - more $ wasted)?? how can I run a business without a printer, scanner, and fax?!?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please refer to these HP documents

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02899429

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03096304

Hope these help..

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your time, but I have already viewed these documents and completed these procedures to no avail. 

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution that worked for you?  Mine is doing the exact same thing and I have tried everything, still states cartridge is bad or missing..

HP Recommended

No, I still have it as an expensive paperweight. And I am very unhappy with the Epson that I bought to replace it! With all of us having the same complaint, I wonder how you would go about starting a class action suit....

HP Recommended

Hi lakegirl10,

I have sent you a Private Message. If you are not sure how to check your Private Messages this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-to-check-your-messages/t...

Regards,

George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue.  We also had this issue with the original 8600 we purchased (that one only used the demo cartridges before giving the lovely "cartridge missing" error).  The first one was still under warranty, so we had to send it back to HP and get a replacement.  In the meantime, the office was without a printer.  Now, the second 8600 has managed to last through about 8 cartridges (approximately six months) before the same issue arose.   It's even with the same cartridge:  magenta.

I've changed cartridges, removed the print head and cleaned it, cleaned the contacts on cartridge, the print head and even where the print head connects to the printer, and even removed the little white plastic guide wedges and switched them around to try and troubleshoot the situation.   I've rebooted it repeatedly and briefly contemplated banging it vigorously on the sides to beat it into submission.

Alas, it is still showing the error.

I wish I could say I'm a novice when it comes to troubleshooting, but I regularly work on printers and other components.  It is truly frustrating to have a product which does not perform well and which does not easily allow the user to rectify the situation without resorting to a sledgehammer or wine.

HP Recommended

Oh, I do like that wine solution! Would that be consumed by you or the printer....?

HP Recommended

I've changed cartridges, removed the print head and cleaned it, cleaned the contacts on cartridge, the print head and even where the print head connects to the printer, and even removed the little white plastic guide wedges and switched them around to try and troubleshoot the situation.   I've rebooted it repeatedly and briefly contemplated banging it vigorously on the sides to beat it into submission.

Alas, it is still showing the error.

Ravi

HP Recommended

Hi Ravi (@sansri42),

Welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been getting an error indicating that one of your cartridges are missing or damaged but I will definitely do my best to help, hopefully avoiding the beating the printer into submission part Smiley Wink

It's looking like you may be experiencing a problem with the printhead, as you'v tried different cartridges and continue to get the same result. If you've already followed the steps within this An 'Ink Cartridge Failure,' 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges,' or 'Ink Cartridge Problem' Error Message ... document and have made sure the printer is Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates then I will suggest that you call HP Tech Support for your area and inquire about a printhead replacement.

Let me know how this goes for you Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.