Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meanpuppydog
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

out of ink

I was printing my blood results,  OUT OF YELLOW INK.

☻  I replaced the yellow ink

☻ Not it said I was out of magneta ink

☻drove BACK to Walmart, 18 miles and bought magneta  ink

☻installed magneta ink  (another 24.98)

☻Now it says I am out of cyan ink.

What the heck is going on.

Do I have to make a THIRD  TRIP to Walmart.

What comes next?  Out  of BLACK INK?

It is  driving me nuts.

what should I do if

1 REPLY 1
Level 16
Level 16
32,809 26,178 2,389 8,179
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

out of ink

[I moved this from the Instant Ink board to the Inkjet board.  The Officejet Pro 8610 and later printers are eligible for Instant Ink, the Officejet Pro 8600 printers are not compatible with Instant Ink.] 

You can see the remaining ink in several ways on the Officejet Pro 8600:

• On the front panel click the ink droplet icon in the top row.  This will open a page that shows the ink levels in each cartridge.
  • Optionally you can select "Print Report" on the ink levels page.
  • Alternately, if the printer is connected by a network connection you can open the Embedded Web Server (EWS) for the printer.  Find the printer's IP address - Home, Right, Setup, Network, View Network Status, then select Wired or Wireless depending on how you are connected to the network.  This will show the IP address.  Enter the IP address in your browser which will open the EWS.  If the ink levels are not displayed on your home page click the Tools tab at the top, then click on INk Guage on the left side.

ink.png

Typically the color inks are used at nearly the same rate, unless you are often printing items with the same colors - for example, letterhead with a large cyan logo. 

When one color runs out it is likely the others will be close behind.   Black usage will typically be relatively independent of the color usage. 

Changing a cartridge will result in a priming cycle being run on the printer to get rid of air induced in the ink delivery system.  This will use some ink in black and all the colors.  If another color is nearly out the priming cycle will likely finish it off.  Replacing the next cartridge will use some more ink.

At this point you will need a new cyan cartridge.  Before purchasing this I would suggest checking the black ink levels.  If it is very low I would suggest replacing both the black and cyan cartridges.  In the future, when a cartridge is low I would suggest checking all the ink levels and replace all the nearly depleted cartridges at once to avoid having to run multiple priming cycles.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation