Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 3520 e-all-in-one
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi,

Suddenly my printer doesn't print in Black and white anymore after i changed al the cartridges, the coulors have no problem at al. when i try to print black and white, the pages come out blanc.... grey is no problem. i get no default message of any kind. It just come's out blanc. What is the problem please? Is it just a default of any kind of is he broken? 

I tried different cartridges and turned everything on and off (printer and mac)

i tried to download the  drivers and the tool. HP firmware updater gives me the error that it can not be opened because of a problem. see termintation reason belowe this message...When i trie to instal automatic help and solution tool : (HPSA) my mac says that unarchiver can open this tipe of file. It is a windows exe file but i can find the  mac version.....

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/Core.framework/Versions/4.0/Libraries/libHPIOnetsnmp.5.dylib
Referenced from: /Volumes/VOLUME/HP Firmware Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks/HPDeviceModel.framework/Versions/4.0/Frameworks/

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Deskjet 3520.  

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve black not printing I would suggest removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

You should be able to download the HP Easy Start App for Mac OS 10.14 from HP here: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,

Thx for the answer. 

The troubleshooting steps link doesn't work at this time...

The cartridge is fine, the print heads are fine and the are flush. Also i tried cleaning both printer and cartridge manually before.

HP easy start for mac is already on my pc, i meant the troubleshooting app by HP (i don't know the correct name right now)

But ik think it is a software problem or a hardware problem that can not be fixt and it is time for a new printer? This one is 10 years or so.... A shame that a just put in al new cartridges 🙄😤 

maybe you have a different way to get to the trouble shooting steps? than i can try this first before trowing it by the trash...

Thx

HP Recommended

@sven5 wrote:

[snip] The cartridge is fine, the print heads are fine and the are flush. Also i tried cleaning both printer and cartridge manually before. [snip]

I am not sure how you decided the printhead is fine, the issue with black not printing in models with separate cartridges and printheads is often the printhead being clogged if the issues with cartridge vents have been addressed.  Are you able to copy black text from the copy bed?  If not the software is not an issue as the computer is not used to make copies.

It may be that you see black text when printing a test page.  This is because the printer uses a mixture of black and color inks when printing the diagnostic pages so that the information can be read even if black or one or more of the colors are not operating.  Grayscale printing is often done with the color cartridges as well since the color droplets are much smaller than the black and using color for the lighter gray areas gives much better quality.

You can use the color cartridges to print black by selecting a glossy photo paper as the paper type in the  driver settings, even if plain paper is installed.  The pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper so the driver automatically uses color ink to render black.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I think the printhead is fine because i follow the manual  cleaning instructions... Also, i get noting black, just a snow white page. So i think that if, when it is clogged, i get some black stripes or something. (i think)  Plus,  I use the black cartridge more than the colours and they don't have a problem at all. English is not my native language so maybe i'm saying some stuff wrong.

The troubleshooting page works now and i checked al the steps...

I c'ant copy black text, so not the software then... i could be the hardware of the printer , no?

Also i don't see black text when printing a test or cleaning page.... Before i changed the cartridges the printer found a way around not being able to print black by using the colour cartridges to print dark grey. I saw that, and thought that the cartridge was running empty, so i decided to change them. After that the printer doesn't get around the black problem and stopt patching the lak of black by using grey. I think.... i hope i express myself right.

Thx

HP Recommended

Your English is fine.

If the black printhead is clogged it would exhibit the issue you are seeing.  The printer may give an option to print using the color cartridges as the black ink is low, at least until the black ink is depleted completely.

You can also force the printer to use the color to print black by selecting photo paper as the paper type in the driver, even though you are actually printing on plain paper.

If you have done the troubleshooting steps in my post above without success your printer will probably need repair.  Before doing this you might repeat the troubleshooting steps.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.