Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet F2100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer seems to be recognized by my notebook (Thinkpad W530) but when a printjob is sent, the printer can list the print job but the printing does not start. All lights are normal and the printer does not show as offline. Print Doctor will resolve the problem and all is OK for one print session.  The second print job also does not start (shows in "see what's printing", all lights are OK and the printer is not offline) but this time, Print Doctor is unable to get past "Communicating with Printer" and will lock up. I use CTRL-Alt-Del to get to my Task Manager to close Print Doctor.

Sometimes a printer and notebook shut down / restart resets everything but usually I end up reinstalling the printer from the drivers and software on the HP site.  The cycle then repeats itself over the next day or two (depending upon how much I need to use the printer).   I am experiencing no issues with copy or with scan.

CanadaDan

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Have you tried a new USB cable? 

Any errors in the Device Manager?

Have you checked the System files using sfc /scannow?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I have already replied to these recommendations with an attachment update.  (New cable, (no change) printout of what appears in Device Manager and "no errors found" using sfc/scannow.

Problem continues.   I will copy my previous response below but this format does not permit attachments. 

CanadaDan

Sfc/scannow found no issues       (why   "system32"   ?) My computer has a 64-bit operating system and x64-based processor.

Three PrtSc from Device Manager       (HP Deskjet F2100 Series - EVENTS  tab –View All Events  selected)

I see a reference in PrtSc #2 to a series 1400 printer which I have and use from time to time.   Confusion?

New printer cable - no difference:– printer recognized, not offline, print job in queue not printing; will not restart

HP Recommended

Can you test it on another computer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Great suggestion, 8lives;

Unfortunately, all I have is my ThinkPad; I'll see if I can arrange something with a friend.

In the meantime; same old - same old.

By the way, Season's Greetings.

CanadaDan

HP Recommended

Does the Thinkpad not have a USB port?

Season's Greetings!

HP Recommended

The ThinkPad, in fact, has four USB ports. I use one for the printer (any one) and another is used for my mouse.

CanadaDan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.