Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a Windows 10 update. After installing the update I was unable to print with a message not connected (wifi) to the printer. Prior to this I had been printing fine. I attempted to use HP Print Scan Doctor program but still didn't work. I uninstalled the printer and the reinstalled from the HP website. It installed fine and I received indication that I was connected (wifi). I check and my printer HP Officejet pro 8610 was the default printer. I tried to print from my email, Word and notepad but every time I try I simply got a error message in my que. I retried HP Printer Scan Doctor but it still wouldn't work. I am at a loss and any suggestions would be of great assistance. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@johnd518, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. This is a new version of PSDr.

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Delete job files and restart the print spooler

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. To properly reset your printing environment, delete these print job files manually and restart both the computer and the printer.

NOTE: 

Restarting PC or the printer spooler cancels all the jobs from other printer as well, so make sure all the printers installed in the PC are idle or wait for them to complete the printing.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button.

2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.

3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

The Services menu opens.

4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

Figure: Example of stop selection for Print Spooler Service

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Turn on your printer.

9. Try printing again and note what happens.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@johnd518

Assign manual IP to the printer-

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

If the issue persists, try adding a TCP/IP port.

1. Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
  2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
  3. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
  4. Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
  5. Try printing.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried the instructions for manual IP address but still got the same error message. So I returned to the auto IP address and tried again still no luck.

I was going to try the TCP/IC instructions but when it say right click the printer, where am I doing that? I tried it on my desk top but there was nothing about ports in the properties.  Where exactly am I finding the printer I need to right click.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@johnd518

Go to Devices and Printers and follow the steps mentioned in my previous post.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Followed  the instructions, still same printer error message. John

HP Recommended

@johnd518

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I am now worse off. I followed your recent instructions, uninstalling, running the printui.exe /s and cleared out anything driver connected with hp. Then I tried the add printer instructions, but all I got was the printer located, no prompt for drivers no windows update. So I eliminated  the printer from the add printer panel.  I then got out of everything, restarted the computer and downloaded the driver from the HP support page. I tried to install the printer and now it will not install.  I've uninstalled again, restarted the computer again and then download the driver again.  Still I can not install.  I tried it with HP Printer Scanner Doctor and unplugged then repluged the printer but still I can not install it. Also, now when it comes up on the installation program the name of the printer HP Officejet Pro 8610 does not have "(Network)" at the end of it as it did when I was connected to the printer but getting the error message trying to print.  This is very frustrating now that I am unable to even install the  app.  I'm not sure now what to do.

John

HP Recommended

@johnd518

This requires remote assistance for further isolation of the issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for assistance.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.