Did you mean: 
faith200
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Officejet Pro 8600 CN578A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When trying to print, recieved a message saying the printer was offline, also recieved the message saying 'setup is incomplete because of a metered connection'. I have gone through the steps of unplugging the printer, turning the computer off and then back on. Usually this helps, but not this time.  However, as I am typing this, my husband is on the laptop and has gotten the printer to print. The message in the control panel still says the same message about the metered connection.  So I am confused but happy. My question now is why does the printer go offline and what does the message mean metered connection?

I would appreciate any informtion. Thank Faith200 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,344 18,252 1,046 1,150
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@faith200

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer. I understand that your are getting printer offline issue and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity.

1. From the computer you are trying to print from, download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

2. After opening Print and Scan Doctor, read and respond to the screens to resolve the problem.

Set the default printer and unpause printing.

Reset the printer and check the connection status.

Make sure the correct port is selected.

Update the printer firmware.

Create a manual connection.

Add a second printer device to Windows.

Add the printer using HP Printer Assistant

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
stefan_dorin
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Settings --> Ethernet --> Click on your connection --> Disable metered connection. Let me know if it helped! 🙂

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation