Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Several weeks ago I sent a document to my HP 8450 from my Mac via wireless network.  Now that document continues to be printed if the printer is not turned off.  I have over a dozen copies at this point! I have unplugged the printer and turned it off for long periods.  The next time I turn it on, it prints the document I just sent and a while later it prints the document I sent a several weeks ago.  I can't stop it.  Every time I use the printer I get a copy of the old document.  I as wasting a lot of paper and ink. HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Try adding it again.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I deleted the printer and then I got this diaglog box.

"Can't install the software for the HP Photosmart 8400 series because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."  How do I get the driver back?

BTW the printer had been turning itself on after I turn it off!  

HP Recommended

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Try adding it again.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I looked everywhere for the printer driver download.  I am keeping this information.  I have followed your instructions and hope this is the end to my frustration.  

So far, so good.  I sent a document to the printer this morning and it only printed the document.  Yesterday while I was away from my computer it had printed two more copies of the former document.  I look forward to not wasting ink and paper!

You have restored my faith in HP.  

I just purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8100 and love that I can print from my iPad, but when I send from my iPhone it prints a complete image but the image fills 1/4 the of the standard paper.  Is this normal or is there a way to fix this?

HP Recommended

Bad news.  After deleting the printer driver, downloading the new one, and restaring my computer, everything was looking great, but my printer just printed anothr copy of the earlier document!  Ugh!  The only solution seems to be to unplug it.  When I turn if off, it turns itself back on and prints.  It isn't very useful at this poin.

HP Recommended

Have you checked that the print queue is empty?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, I did check the queue, but it got me to thinking and I can't believe I didn't think of this.  The laptop was used at a convention for printing awards.  I use the desktop computer.  The printer is in my office, but the laptop isn't.  When my husband had it on is when the printing occurred.  I have now deleted the printer driver and reinstalled the new version.  I really think this will solve it.  Thanks for weighing in on it.  Sometimes it just takes a word or two to jolt your problem solving skills.

HP Recommended

My Hp printer  keeps printing documents it printed some time ago.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to do it on windows 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.