Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp8600

my printer says ink catridge is not compatable...i bought another cartridge and the same thing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

.OK, now we are getting somewhere.  In the US the proper cartridges are -Z10, but at some point you got a Z20 cartridge and the printer locked itself to the Z20 region.  You will need to have a set of Z10 cartridges (or cartridges from before there were -Z designators, they were universal). 

I will ask to have your case escalated to a support agent that can perform a regionalization reset so that your printer can use the proper Z10 cartridges. 

I worked at HP for nearly thirty years starting in 1976, about half of that was in the Inkjet side of things.   While some things have changed a lot in the dozen or so years I have been retired I can often figure out what is going on.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What country are you in?  The new cartridge may have a marking like -Z10.  What is the marking?  Check the markings on the cartridge you removed as well as the other cartridges in the printer - are they the same Z number?

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob!  Thanks!

When I touch the ink droplets a screen pops up with all of the colors of ink with amount left...I don't see the 2nd screen that you're talking about  

HP Recommended

@cfrancise1 wrote:

Hi Bob!  Thanks!

When I touch the ink droplets a screen pops up with all of the colors of ink with amount left...I don't see the 2nd screen that you're talking about  

When you are in the screen that shows the ink levels touch any of the ink level graphs, this will bring up the information on the supported cartridges.

Please let me know what country you are in, the installed cartridges and the supported cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

hi...from the US...ok i went there and it shows the same exact info as the new catridge...i got this info when the old one was in lace because when i insert the new one it wont let me get pass that the catridge isnt capatable

HP Recommended

OK, good to know you are in the US.  What are the supported cartridges listed, including the -Zx0 number? 

If a Z20, Z30 or Z40 cartridge has been in the printer it will have likely been locked to the incorrect region and will need to have a regionalization reset.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I think we're getting somewhere!!!! it shows 950xl and 950xl z20 but my new catridges show 950xl z10

how do you know so much??

HP Recommended

.OK, now we are getting somewhere.  In the US the proper cartridges are -Z10, but at some point you got a Z20 cartridge and the printer locked itself to the Z20 region.  You will need to have a set of Z10 cartridges (or cartridges from before there were -Z designators, they were universal). 

I will ask to have your case escalated to a support agent that can perform a regionalization reset so that your printer can use the proper Z10 cartridges. 

I worked at HP for nearly thirty years starting in 1976, about half of that was in the Inkjet side of things.   While some things have changed a lot in the dozen or so years I have been retired I can often figure out what is going on.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks so much!   So grateful for you to have taken your time to help me sir!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@cfrancise1

Thanks for the reply.

I have sent you a private message, for more details depending on the product that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.