Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having issues with my printer, it doesn't want to print on glossy HP photo paper (8.5" x 11") although it does print fine on standard plain paper.  The OS is windows 10, 64 bit; printer is HP ENVY 4500.  I have read and tried out the other suggestions that were made on here; checking for paper jams, cleaning, checking for updates ( says that I am fully updated), have run blank paper through and it grabs and prints on it but will not take ahold of the glossy photo paper.  When I try to print on photo paper, the machine sounds like it is going to work but then nothing and the on-screen message reads that the machine is out of paper.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@ghbpiper

If you have not already done so, double-check to be sure you have selected / set the correct Media type in your Printing Preferences

As well, please check your settings in Print Preview; "Preview" uses / accesses the Printing Preferences settings for paper type (Media) and other settings (tray, paper size, etc).

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have done that, that is one of the first things I checked out.  Thank you though for making sure I didn't miss anything

HP Recommended

@ghbpiper

HP Help on the problem:

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays for HP ENVY 4500 and Deskjet Ink Advantage 3540 e-All-in-One Prin...

The rollers - inside the top of the printer - may be dusty, dirty, or perhaps not in perfect alignment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem may have to do with the size of your paper -- if it is not "just so", that is, if the size of paper is other than those in the list, you can try creating a Custom Form for your Photo Paper.

Specifications > Paper-Handling > Supported Paper Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The paper may be "too thick", that is, a higher gms (weight) than this printer can handle.

Specifications > Paper-Handling > Paper tray capacities

There is no "fix" for this -- the printer's rollers will only adjust to the "opening" needed to handle papers that are the weights specified for the hardware.

As noted, the tray handles paper of particular weight (gms), in this case a maximum of 75lb paper.  Place at least ten pages in the input tray - and no more than the maximum number of papers stated -- in this case 20 pages of 75lb weight paper.

Glossy paper should be placed into the tray "glossy side down".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Printing Preferences

See Section titled: Custom Paper Sizes

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello all,

for months I have had the problem with the non feeding of gloss photo papers in my old'ish HP3180, I tried cleaning the rollers to no avail.  I was very tempted to throw it out....

But being a dedicated fixer I thought I would look at a few forums first,  

( I hate forums most of the time they are useless) 

low and behold I found, amongst the dross, this little snippet, " put inward pressure on the rear door when and while you want to print on premium grade photo paper"....so I tried, and it worked perfectly.

I now have a small block of wood held tight against the rear door with a bit of gaffer tap (thank god for gaffer tape),

and all is well, so far!

hope it works for you,

let me know how it goes

all the best 

Wibby

HP Recommended
Hello,

I am having this same issue. It will not print on the glossy side. I turned it over and was able to print it on the watermark side.. But i need it on the glossy side!! Why is it doing this... Please help!!!!!!
HP Recommended
This worked... Thank you!!!!!!!!
HP Recommended

Instead of photo paper try Epson "Ultra Premium Presentation Paper MATTE". The description on the front of the package states that it is "Luxurious, hevyweight non-glare paper ideal for digital matte photography". It worked very well for me and in fact I prefer it to photo paper now.

HP Recommended

I tried it and Wibby is right ...it works....I was just about to give up

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue, but I don't exactly know what you mean with "inward pressure on the rear door".

What exactly is the rear door? And where do I put the pressure?
Do you perhaps have a picture of the part you mean?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.