Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi, 

I am operating an iMac on Sierra and trying to use my Deskjet 3720 

My problem is, although HP instant ink is setup and working, and I have HP smart setup. I cannot just simply connect and print via USB. I tether my iMac via my mobile phone, and can connect my printer to this too but I'd prefer not too need to connect it every time. 

the web services list will not stop flashing amber and I can't print, unless I print via wifi direct which means disconnecting from my wifi (mobile tethering) to connect to the printer. 

I've spent hours trying to figure this and ready to give up 😞

JohnR

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Instant Ink requires an internet connection for the printer, with no internet access HP Instant Ink doesn't work as it cannot monitor the ink levels for the service:

Step 1: Check HP Instant Ink requirements

A printer with an active Internet connection: The printer must be set up on a wired or wireless network and Web Services must be turned on. This connection is required so that HP Instant Ink can securely monitor your printer’s ink status. A daily connection between your printer and the Internet is not required, but HP recommends that you allow your printer to remain connected as often as possible. After your printer has been disconnected for a few days, you receive reminders to connect. If you fail to connect, eventually your HP Instant Ink cartridges stop printing.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.