Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 6700 premium
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello all,

i have the 6700 officejet for about 2 years and its ok for my uses as a small home office.

but its driving me crazy with some of its features:

1. if a color ink is missing, i cant print even in greyscale

2. i get a lot "paper size mismatch" error, even though im allways printing on A4 paper, and in the settings its set as A4.

3. for some strange reason, the printer is allways doing a self check, which blocks me from using the printer for a few minutes, and it allways happens in the middle of me printing a few pages, so after one page print, the printer stops and i need to wait forever for it to finish the checkup to resume printing:

the self check it allways doesthe self check it allways does

so now im kind of fed up with it and im looking for a new all in one printer from hp, that will not have these problems.

maybe hp officejet pro 6960, deskjet 5275, or deskjet 3835.

can you guys help me out and tell me if the new printers will not have these problems for sure? i cant find any information on these issues online.

maybe suggest one of these or any other printer?

thanks in advance,

joel

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey There! @yolinka,

Have you tried printing using a different brand paper?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Try updating the printer firmware to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Try the steps recommended below to print in greyscale.

Grayscale: The printer uses a mix of color inks to produce a high-quality black printout. So you need to have all the ink cartridges installed on the printer to print in grayscale.

1. Load paper in the tray. For more information, see Load media.

2. On the File menu in your software application, click Print.

3. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.

4. To change settings, click the option that opens the printer Properties dialog box. Depending on your software application, this option might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

5. On the Paper/Quality tab, select the appropriate photo paper type from the Media drop-down menu.

6. Click Advanced, and then select Best or Maximum DPI from the Output Quality drop-down menu.

7. To print the photo in black and white, click the Grayscale drop-down menu, and then select one of the following options: • High-Quality Grayscale: uses all the available colors to print your photo in grayscale. This creates smooth and natural shades of gray. • Black Ink Only: uses black ink to print your photo in grayscale. The gray shading is created by varying patterns of black dots, which might result in a grainy image.

8. Click OK, and then click Print or OK to begin printing.

The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of low-quality paper that has absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the printer.

Refer this article to know more information about paper mismatch errors. Click Here

Lastly, Uninstall and reinstall the printer software from root level on your PC and check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Hope this answers your query! 
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hello apollo, thanks for your help.

tried out everything you suggested, including removing all the drivers and installation and reinstalling.

still have these problems.

i buy each time a different A4 pages from a different company, but the problem persists.

now i ccant seem to print enything since my magenta ink is finished.

it is crazy for me that my printer will not allow me to print without a specific in, especially when i only need to print in B&W.

anyway, my intent in my initial post was to try and get a recommendation for a new printer that might not have these crippaling issues. i am a very long HP printers costumer, so i can remember a time when i didnt have thses problems.

i still want to but a HP printer, since i do like the design and features of the HP printers. 

i want to find a new printer that will not behave like mine does. its especially upsetting since we all know that the only reason for these things is to sell more ink.

so if you or anyone else can help me out to find a great new printer, that will behave like printers used to in the past- it will be great. if not, i guess i will need to find a printer from another company.

thanks, joel

HP Recommended

Hi! @yolinka,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Regards

A4Apollo

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks apollo for your help.

do you have no recommendationsd regarding current HP printers?

joel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.