Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
all in one printer deskjet 3050a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just have a question about what the lights indicate on the printer, as dumb as that sounds,

What does it mean if the eprint light is on? Does that mean the printer has been engaged in eprinting? Has someone used it to print something from what they call the cloud, or something that I may have printed previously on my printer?

I do not use eprint, but my printer is capable of it. So I am not very familiar with it. I do use my printer on a wi fi connection and like its convenience. However, I am not always sure that is the most secure way, as it is an old printer.

I have never used eprint, unless you count printing an email. I never see the eprint light on. This morning, it was. Am just wondering what could that mean?

thanks for anyone who could easily/quickly/ directly answer.

Gina 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mrg553 wrote:

... What does it mean if the eprint light is on? Does that mean the printer has been engaged in eprinting?

@mrg553 

That means it is communicating with HP servers and ready/waiting for jobs. Printing from email locally does not mean ePrint. You can disable printer email address using the following instructions

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04808536

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mrg553 wrote:

... What does it mean if the eprint light is on? Does that mean the printer has been engaged in eprinting?

@mrg553 

That means it is communicating with HP servers and ready/waiting for jobs. Printing from email locally does not mean ePrint. You can disable printer email address using the following instructions

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04808536

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well here is another dumb question. I have not ever used eprint, so why would it be in contact with HP servers?

My concerns is, is the eprint something that can be hacked? If someone were to get my wi fi password -- it's happened before -- would that enable that hacker access to any documents/photos to print maybe on another printer with eprint capability?

thanks,

Gina

HP Recommended

YES I WOUDL LOVE to disable the eprinting but now I have to have a page printed that gives the printer ip address and i can't figure out how to do that I am following the instructions on YET ANOTHER page and it is not pulling upo my printer. i will never get another hp printer again. this shoudl never be this hard.

HP Recommended

I did finally find the ip address, i got it from the hp assistant, which has a link to it THANK GOD.

NOW I have yet another concern. With this IP address, I could turn off the web services and did so. I hope that puts an end to the constantly busy signal I kept getting around my mouse, as something kept wanting or waiting for my mouse to do sometihng and this WAS MAKING ME NUTS.

Something happened recently, just recently that caused the light to go on, and caused my mouse the past two days to keep registereing that iwas biusy  -- THIS IS WHAT I MEAN ABOUT THE LACK OF SECURITY. I am so aggravated I can hardly type

I wonder if it is that easy you just put in that IP address and see EVERYTHING ABOUT MY PRINTER including the ink levels, what is to stop anyone from getting the ip address -- i'm srue if they can hack the pentagon someone can get my ip address and then just tamper  with my printer. it does say the wi fi connection and it is to my router, and tha thas a wi fi password, and so I wonder, what would anyone see if they put in my printer address? I am wondering how did this happen in the first place?

I KNOW ALL that i change and do about my notebook, when somethign starts acting fishy, it is due to some external thing. my mouse kept saying it was busy, that light was on. and I don't use the eprint.

so can anyone access my pritner ip address if they got it? wouldn't they have to have the wi fi password? I do have a secure connection, i change the password from time to time.

I also never set up those web services. How could that have happened?

Do you have to get into that ip of the printer to do that?

HP Recommended

@mrg553 

There are many things I can't answer but for the following points, I'd like to have few comments:

>>>> I have not ever used eprint, so why would it be in contact with HP servers?
By default HP ePrint and HP instant ink printers will connect to HP Servers otherwise HP ePrint and HP instant ink won't work.

>>>> If someone were to get my wi fi password -- it's happened before --
I can't say much about network security. We always have to protect our home networks.

>>>> I did finally find the ip address, i got it from the hp assistant, which has a link to it THANK GOD.
It doesn't matter, when connecting a printer to a network (wired or wireless) it MUST carry an IP address otherwise you can't print unless using USB or connect direct (also using IP address).

>>>> anyone access my pritner ip address if they got it? wouldn't they have to have the wi fi password?
When printer is connected to your wifi network, you need your wifi network to connect to your printer. And when people have your wifi netwrok password, you would be more worried about your network security, not just printer.

Many home network printers today from all brands do similar things. HP ePrint is just a product from HP, other vendors may have different product names

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.