Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Please help, after a run of updates on my Windows 10(64bit) computer, my printer driver became unavailable. after several attempts to correct, i came up with errors, i looked for the issue and came across Shlomil explaining the error and how to repair, i followed all his steps and yes indeed it finally got rid of the error and printer was able to be uninstalled. Now i cannot get the printer to reinstall, although it does say its installed there is not a single program on my computer that shows the printer or even gives me the option to print to pdf, it just does nothing. Is this now a registry issue? and how can I fix this.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Transgirl, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, that didn't work.  didn't even give me the option to update drivers. But I have done a lot of these steps already with the final being the driver is unavailable.  I have been able to find a work around for the most part by using Eprint but quickbooks doesn't even recognize any form a printing, pdf or eprint. when you click Print, it just does nothing. printers and devices show the printer is installed but won't update drivers and continues to say, Driver unavailable. I have tried the windows update from previous times, i have updated and removed the printer from all different directions with the same result. I know I am missing something but cannot figure this out and I am moderate with computers.

HP Recommended

@Transgirl

Add the printer using TCP/IP-

1.  Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2.  Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3.   elect “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4.  Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5.   Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6.   select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7.  Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8.  Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sigh, I get to step 6, enter the host name/ip address it asks to replace driver or use existing, no matter which i choose pop up immediately opens and says, "unable to install printer. the Handle is Invalid"  OR "printer driver was not installed. The system cannot find the file specified". I have installed the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled. Any other possibilities?

HP Recommended

@Transgirl

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. Try creating a new user account and install the drivers-

1. Tap the Windows icon.

2. Select Settings.

3. Tap Accounts.

4. Select Family & other users.

5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

9. Tap the Windows icon.

10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It sorta helps, i created the sub account and installed the printer there, yes it works, just like it work on the Eprint section, but how do i get it to work under my usual log in. everything i have is under the original log in. why will none of the applications see the printer, its installed, i can get a test page from the printer app, but not on outlook, word and most important, quickbooks which doesn't see any form to print from now. including PDF.

HP Recommended

@Transgirl

It is a user account issue. You can perform windows restore to resolve the issue. If you're not sure you can take help of the local tech or reach out to the HP Support in your region.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.