01-11-2020 10:57 PM
My printer constantly says "Needs attention" on my Windows 10 laptop. I've used both drivers, the older one and the Windows 10 one, still says the same thing. I've successfully printed from my ipad, so I know the printer works. I'm trying to network print over wifi. In the HP print app it says the printer is online.
Please help, this is very frustrating.
01-13-2020 10:55 AM
@emorgan33, Welcome to HP Support Community!
Follow the steps below to resolve the issue-
Use HP Print and Scan Doctor
Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues.
For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor
Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers-
Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
Now uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. Follow the steps below-
1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
2) Select your HP Printer
3) Select Uninstall
4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”
😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab
9) Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
10) Select Ok
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
12) Close Devices and Printers.
Now, download and install the full-featured software from here.
If the issue persists, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:
• Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.
• When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
• Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help
Keep the printer under observation for a day or two. Let me know the outcome.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
01-18-2020 10:40 AM
Thank you for your help. But I tried all of the steps you've indicated and nothing has worked. Even the built-in Windows drivers for the printer gives me the same error: "attention required".
I don't understand because other devices work with this printer.
What else can I try?
01-18-2020 03:39 PM
This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.
I request you to talk to HP support.
They might have multiple options to help you with this.
- Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
- Select the country.
- Enter the serial of your device.
- Select the country from the drop-down.
- Click on "Show Options".
- Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
I hope that helps.
If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.
I am an HP Employee