Charnow
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Print Canceled" Message

HP Envy 5660
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am trying to print a document which contains some color photographs.  When I print, the printer receives the message, pulls the paper and then stalls.  1-2 minutes later, it spits out the page with approximately 1/2 inch of the picture printed.  The screen on the printer displays the message "print canceled."  No problem printing regular text documents.  I wound up emailing the document with the color photographs to my husband and he sent it to the same printer to print and it did so with no problem.  I have changed the cartridges recently, but I'm doubting that's the problem being that when my husband printed it from his computer, there was no problem.  I would love any help with this!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,466
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Print Canceled" Message

@Charnow

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums.

I understand that your HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer is unable to print correctly from your computer and however prints fine from your husbands computer. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

You have isolated the issue very well. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

Have you tried to print from multiple applications and checked what happens?

This appears to be an issue with the printer drivers/software on your Mac computer as the printer seems to print fine from your husband's computer. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please download and install the firmware on the printer via this HP link. The printer needs to be restarted after the firmware is successful installed. 
  • Also, update the Mac OS on your computer. 

Now, try printing and check how it goes. 

In case the issue persists then please continue with the following steps to remove and re-add the printer as Airprint in the Mac OS:

Step 1: Remove multiple printers from the printer list

Check for multiple devices in the Printers list, and then remove any extra entries other than one in idle status.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer displays an error, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE: If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 

0 Kudos
BCornett
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Print Canceled" Message

I followed all of these steps and my printer is still not completing a printing job.  I own an HP 5660.  It is very frustrating.  Please provide further assistance.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,493 6,480 472 511
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Print Canceled" Message

@BCornett, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Resetting the printing system reset might resolve the issue. Resetting the printing system deletes all print settings and pending print jobs. Here is how you do it-

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button 

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Resetting the Printing System (Mac) for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation