Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4524

For the last week I have been unable to print anything with my HP ENVY 4524 displaying the error "Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed".

I've read through the very long HP support page on the issue and tried everything it has said, but I am still getting the error.

I am subscribed to HP Instant Ink, so I only ever use genuine HP ink cartridges in the printer.

I cannot find a way of directly contacting someone at HP, so I would be very grateful if an HP representative could reply to this thread so that I can get a replacement colour cartridge for the printer.

Many thanks,

Chris Thorn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@christhorn

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I have shipped out the color cartridge to your address.

This issue should be fixed after installing the the new cartridge.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

91 REPLIES 91
HP Recommended

@christhorn

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you are unable to print with your Instant Ink Cartridges and the printer is prompting you to reinstall the cartridges.

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue.

I will send you a Private Message, please reply back with your Instant Ink Account Number or Email Address and I'll look into it.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it

Meantime, please remove the cartridges, clean the electrical contacts with a Lint-Free cloth and reinstall the Firmly.

Then perform a Printer Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Also update the Firmware from this Link: https://hp.care/2uTqjLN

Keep me posted.

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I've sent you a PM with the requested details.

I tried the "Printer Reset" steps you outlined, but it made no difference.

I've checked, and the printer firmware is up to date.

Many thanks,

Chris

HP Recommended

@christhorn

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I have shipped out the color cartridge to your address.

This issue should be fixed after installing the the new cartridge.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for shipping out a new cartridge. I'll post back here if it doesn't solve the issue.

Best regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

@zoggett,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting a cartridge error on your printer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Do you have an Instant Ink account? If yes, send me the account number in a private message.
  • When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

For now, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://hp.care/2rLCKbN

If you continue to face the issue, I recommend you replace the cartridge and check if it resolves the issue.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This would be an acceptable solution.  How do I make it so?

HP Recommended

@Bigjack100

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted & beyond!

I'm glad the steps suggested by the other tech worked for you,

Although I'm afraid the original poster is the only one who can mark the post as the solution,

You, however, can give him a kudos (Thumbs up), to let him know it worked for you.

I hope that answers your query,

If it doesn't or you need further support, simply write back to us anytime and we'll be glad to help.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue what do I do to get new ones shipped out?? Both brand new and dont work

Thanks guys

HP Recommended

Hi @sambrod

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try solution# 3 to 6 from this document

Have you checked you HP Instant Ink account page? Your Instant Ink account page will have notifications if there are any issues with the account or recent cartridge shipment, it will even provide solutions on how to fix the issue. You may log in to your HP Instant Ink account page from here.

If the suggested information can't be found, please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Support Community.

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.