06-15-2019 02:37 PM
My Deskjet F4480 has been printing all Word and PDF docs with a "shadow.", as if I had selected some kind of shadow font. How do I get back to normal printing?
06-17-2019 05:51 PM
Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,
Let's try to make a copy from the printer or print the Print quality report from the printer.
Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.
Print an extended self-test report
Make sure you have plain white, letter-size paper loaded in the input tray.
Press and hold the Power button () and the Cancel button () for 10 seconds. The extended self-test report prints.
You may refer to this support document - Troubleshooting Print-Quality Issues
If you're able to make a copy or print the self test report from the printer. Then this could be a software or driver related issue. I would recommend you uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall the printer by following the steps below:
- Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
- Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
- Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
- Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
- Now check for issue resolution.
- If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
- First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
- Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP DeskJet printer entries and uninstall them.
- Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
- Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
- Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
- Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
- Restart your computer.
- Please click here to download and install the software.
- Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Let me know how it goes for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee