Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 2540
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have been using HP Deskjet 2540 in black and white (draft) mode with black ink only. I have now  installed a new colour cartridge, which shows as full. Trying to print a file in colour. The  preview shows the colour but it still prints in greyscale. The printer details is set to defaults. How do I reset the printer mode to print in colour.  I have tried with  different file formats but none will print in colour. I am using wireless connection. 

I have printed in colour in the past.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Spoiler
the problem has now been solved  by telephone. It involved turning the printer off and then on again, then resetting the printer, then deleting it and adding it again (using  the preferences for apple).It was not a cartridge problem but something to do with drivers (even though I had already updated the driver to the latest version). Thank you anyway for your efforts.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

An update. to my earlier query. Y The problem is definitely in the printer, because the test page (after inserting colour ink)  does  not  print in colour, but does print the colour section in pale blue!

HP Recommended

@mandy-wr14, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I'd recommend you follow the steps from the document Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues to isolate and resolve the issue.

Also, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you  TEJ1602.

Thank you for the references you gave me. The problem remains.

I print successfully using airprint , in black and white. I have checked the ink. I am using genuine HP cartridges bought from HP, (301 XL, and all ink levels are full or nearly full.) The colour is rarely used. (.I normally only have the black ink installed). The alignment page was printed when I installed to colour ink but the colour section was all pale blue!The print preview shows the colours, they just do not print in colour (in greyscale).

When I print I am not offered the option of running HP utility. I launched it separately (I am running MAC/OS Catalina 10.15.5)

The Utility program says the printer is not connected, although it is the printer is able to print and the HPSmart program shows it as connected.

Firmware version is CBP1FN1333AR; serial CN4723F11Z0604, service id 24280 TP no:7795

I tried cleaning the nozzles using HP Smart. It was apparently still cleaning 3 hours later !. It had not printed any test page when my imac switched off (after 4 hours).

It is still only printing grey scale, using airprint. The preview shows the colours, they just do not print.

It seems the problem may be either caused by using airprint or the colour cartridge may be faulty. Do you think I should try reconnecting the printer via USB (which involves moving the room around so that the printer and desktop computer are close together). If that is the solution how do I set it up to use the USB instead of airprint.?

It the ink cartidge is faulty, can I get it replaced free of charge, since I have already unpacked it and installed it and I have probably not kept the receipt. I am not sure when I bought it. But I have only ever bought genuine HP ink.

I have had the printer for some time so I imagine it is not longer under guarantee.

HP Recommended

@mandy-wr14

Thanks for replying!

What happens when you make photocopies on the printer? 

If you cannot make color photocopies, it is definitely an ink cartridge issue and yes, you can get a free replacement for the same.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@mandy-wr14

I did not hear back from you yet. Please let me know whether your issue is resolved or you need additional help.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou.  How do I get replacement/refund

HP Recommended

@mandy-wr14

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the replacement/refund.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

your link for HP support in my region gives

"400 Bad Request

Request Header or v cookie to large

ngnx /1.14.2"

HP Recommended

I have installed new colour  cartrige ,  supplied by HP . On the alignment page it prints only blue and black. Normal black pt printing by AirPrint is fine, but I tried to print a document with a colour  picture and it printed in grey scale although the  preview showed in colour.

It may be a side issue but the scanner seems not to recognise AirPrint. It claims the scanner is not connected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.