08-01-2020 03:26 PM
- Approx 3 weeks ago began to have problems printing (HP OfficeJet 3830)
Thought it was ink cartridges. Tried new black one, but no improvement.
Ignored the HP messages to sign up for Insta-Ink. Problem got worse each week, finally would not print - - no connection between compute & printer.
- On Monday, 7/27, began using HP “help” on line, and searching for solution (did others have similar problem after Microsoft cancelled support for Windows 7, & asked you to move to Windows 10- - no similars). I DID NOT, still on 7.
- While trying to communicate (again daily) with HP “on-line help”, and never, ever, reaching a live person no matter how hard I tried, all of a sudden on Wed, 7/29, a “live talk box” appeared on lower right hand corner of my screen.
(( I took this to be an HP person - - my error ??? ))
- Copied & downloaded a page of this discussion (cannot find it now)
But she seemed very helpful, listened to my problem, and told me she would be turning me over to their tech service.
I THOUGHT I HAD BEEN SPEAKING WITH AN HP PERSON, AND WOULD BE CONNECTED TO ANOTHER HP TECNICIAN.
- This person quickly took over control of my computer as he directed me on what keys to press. I began to see fast changing pages on my screen. Don’t have any idea what occurred. But eventually learned person I was speaking with was in “Seattle” ?? - - much later that he worked for Geeks tech Pro.US.
- Was 90 minutes on line with him while he investigated my hard drive. Showed me “intrusions”: 115 tried, 26 hackers on line now!!!
- Quoted 26 x $150 = $3,900 to remove, plus $150 to “clean-up”, and either $250 for 1 yr service, $400 for 2 yr, $600 for 10 yr. I balked: “you are telling me I have cancer and need an operation. First I need a 2nd opinion.
- Prices were then reduced to 26 x $15 = $390, and $50 for cleanup. AT THAT POINT PITCH BECAME “EARNEST”, AND I KNEW I WAS BEING SCAMMED.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-01-2020 03:54 PM
Yes, a scam - and you were indeed caught.
I am sorry that happened.
Every forum, company, and community on the 'net are plagued by these vermin.
We do try very hard to eliminate the thieves as soon as they are discovered to crawled through a hole.
For those reading:
You might have received an email notification from someone posing as Support.
HP Support does NOT post phone numbers OR email addresses.
Our Community does NOT post phone numbers OR email address.
Do not be a victim to these parasites.
Do NOT contact sneaky "new members" that promise help if you would just give them payment of any kind!
Never, ever respond to a "new member" posing as support.
If anyone, ever, from this Community, manages to trick you enough that you do respond,
As soon as the rat asks for money or payment in ANY form,
Hang up - Remove yourself from the conversation - Block further communication.
Submitting Request for an Assist
- I will submit a request that someone take a look at your question / concern.
- Our Community is not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales or HP Service.
- Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome: Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
- The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
- If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you.
Note to those reading:
- Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”. Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
- Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data.
- Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.
Thank you for participating in our HP Community.
We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology
Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.
Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.
Thank you for participating in our HP Community .
We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.
08-01-2020 05:37 PM
In reviewing this sad incident, what I find remarkable is that on the 3rd day of viewing HP help pages to find a solution, a chat box appears on the HP page, and I have a live person to discuss my problem with. What was I to think at that moment - - that this could be a scam intrusion - - - arriving on an HP page ? No way, Jose! I took her to be an HP employee, and to accept the technician she referred to me - - an immediate link-up. So I took this chap to also be an HP employee.
Seems like HP has more than just an Insta-Ink problem - - their product & site is overrun with vermin preying on dissatisfied HP customers. Sooner or later there will be a class action suit. Sign me up as a plaintiff.
08-02-2020 02:05 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee